• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

last night, with nothing in the fridge and happy about not eating your normal super bowl junk food, I played around with a sauce.. Juiced oranges, added some cardamom, garlic, celery, a little fennel seed, a tiny bit of cinnamon, a little broth, reduced, added butter, a little lemon, sugar, salt, white pepper.. Added boiled whole thin and peeled carrots and the only other vegetable in my house (asparagus)... Sauce was fantastic.. We are either thinking of adding vanilla and serving with foie gras or adding it to a fish dish.. Sauce was really nice, went perfectly with the carrots and surprisingly good with asparagus..

A healthy dinner to make up for the earlier feast at L & B Spumoni Garden.

Although requested (and called out as a party pooper) I too resisted Super bowl stanbyes.

I dry rubbed a 2lb flank steak in the mourning and chucked it in the broiler 8hrs later. Went nice with a chimichurrii of cilantro, parsley, garlic, red pepper, capers, olive oil and apple vinegar.

For a side I blanched bokchoy then sautéd in the wok with peanut oil, scallion, hoysin, fish sc and super hot red pepper oil (the one with the sad/angry Chinese lady on the label). Oh and some steamed carrots, butter, s&p, because I was tired of looking at them.

Was pretty happy with results and it all went well with a cheapskate magnum of Gato Negro shiraz.

I have had some salt cod soaking for a couple of days. I am want to play on the classic Portuguese combo of salt cod, potato, onion, parsley, and bechamel.. Thinking of making a salt cod potato mixture, stuffing it inside a green parsley pasta (ravioli, cannaloni, agnolotti) and serving it with an oniony bechamel and maybe a parsley or arugala pesto.. Have to work lemon in there somewhere... Anyway, if anyone has suggestions any other ways to get the combo, would like to hear it..

A few recent meals:

Quick after-class Thursday: Pan seared lamb chops; roasted spicy butternut squash; kale and ricotta salata salad.

Friday night casual dinner with SeaGuy and Not a Speck of Cereal:

Antipasti: salami, prosciutto, olives, fennel and cucumbers w/ olive oil and salt

Spaghetti Carbonara

Salad w/ green leaf, radicchio and pine nuts.

Lunar New Year Celebration Potluck at the kung fu school: I made an oft-requested Asian-flavored chicken salad; along with a vegan version using fried tofu (I'm sad to say that the vegan version got all eaten up and there were leftovers of the chicken one.....)

Super Bowl: Unapologetically traditional fare: Nachos (a huge cheesy pan of them) with guacamole and salsa made by me and then our hosts made ribs and wings with spicy sauces to dip them in. That's it, no veg to round things out! Just meat, starch and fat!!!

Dinner last night was TK roast chicken (which I had picked up at Thundering Hooves in morning), mashed German butterball potatoes from the farmers market and a big green salad with home made blue cheese dressing.

Tonight we're having ragu with home made rigatoni (inspired by this weeks Top Chef). It's my first time using the KA pasta extruder attachment. Wish me luck!

Please report back on how it went. I've had that attachment forever but never tried using it. :blush: Which pasta recipe are you using?

It sounds like we're in the same boat! I use one that reesek gave me (did she post here or was that only on eG?) anyway, it's one cup AP flour to 1 egg with an extra yolk added - no matter how many cups of flour you use. I'm off to extrude it now so I'll let you know....

Now I'm really embarrassed. The attachment was super easy to use and the pasta was great. It's thicker than commercial rigatoni and I think the dough needed salt. I don't normally salt my pasta dough but I did add maybe a half a teaspoon. It could have used more like a tablespoon. I'm going to try bucatini next.

Our superbowl meal was clam chowder, crackers, coffee ice cream and chocolate chip cookies from the TK Ad Hoc at Home book. The chowder came out really well. I decided to use D'Artagnan bacon instead of the smokier Benton's stuff which I think was the right move. The ice cream is really good but insanely rich, definitely the wrong thing to serve with a chowder. Someone gave me a DeLonghi gelato maker for Christmas and it works a lot better than the Kitchen Aid one I used to have.

Dinner last night was TK roast chicken (which I had picked up at Thundering Hooves in morning), mashed German butterball potatoes from the farmers market and a big green salad with home made blue cheese dressing.

Tonight we're having ragu with home made rigatoni (inspired by this weeks Top Chef). It's my first time using the KA pasta extruder attachment. Wish me luck!

Please report back on how it went. I've had that attachment forever but never tried using it. :blush: Which pasta recipe are you using?

It sounds like we're in the same boat! I use one that reesek gave me (did she post here or was that only on eG?) anyway, it's one cup AP flour to 1 egg with an extra yolk added - no matter how many cups of flour you use. I'm off to extrude it now so I'll let you know....

Now I'm really embarrassed. The attachment was super easy to use and the pasta was great. It's thicker than commercial rigatoni and I think the dough needed salt. I don't normally salt my pasta dough but I did add maybe a half a teaspoon. It could have used more like a tablespoon. I'm going to try bucatini next.

Thanks, you have given me courage!

Besides, I think this low-carb thing is not helping as much as simply eating (and drinking :blush: ) less. So as long as I can restrain my portion size, homemade pasta, here I come!!

Nice pics, Slapsie. The carrots look like ginger.

Re the Ruhlman pork belly you made the other day, you baked at 200 until it hit 150 deg? How long did it take? I’m curing a 3 pounder now and trying to get an idea how long since I don’t have a remote thermometer. Also did you bake it on an elevated rack or flat in a pan? Thanks much

Last night made a quick pork stock with a ham hock and carrot, celery, onion, leek, garlic, and thyme.. Let it boil for a couple of hours.. Used a few cups of that in yellow lentils and served home made venison sausages over it.. A Disgusting bottle of red wine that was leftover from a Christmas Party... But it gave me the confidence I needed to clean and dress my cat's wound. She is evil, i tell ya..

HayDay Country Market chicken pot pie with puff pastry top (used TJ's) I even made a decorated top of flowers and leaves, and managed to not take a picture. It's very straightforward, and pleased my somewhat picky palate (thanks to these drugs, I never know what will be okay from day to day - two days ago, no bell peppers, today, leftover hash gone in a second.)