An attempt to use excess matzo (from last Passover :blush: ) and Monday seder's three leftover hard-boiled eggs: a "strata" with slices of egg and shredded gouda between four layers of matzo, ending with just cheese on top. Whisked some salt, pepper, and nutmeg into skim milk, added an ounce or two of heavy cream and poured it over the top. It sat in the fridge about 24 hours, getting basted every so often, then baked. Not half bad.

Served with steamed broccoli rabe, salad.

• Replies 21.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Yesterday, N made codfish, potato, and broccoli pie. It's basically the same recipe she uses during the rest of the year, except without the flour-based white sauce. Today I made matzoh lasagna, with sauteed spinach, zucchini, and onions added to the ricotta mixture.

Tonight a mostly Greenmarket* dinner:

Pan-grilled whole mackerel* (w/lemon, leftover cilantro sauce from a falafel place)

Parsnip* "frites" -- actually oven-baked, with olive oil and a sprinkle of flaky rosemary sea salt

Steamed spinach*

Salad (partly *) with Greek basil* vinaigrette

Marlborough sauvignon blanc to drink

Well, a sign on the door at my fish guy said "Fish Market Closed For Funeral" I feel bad as i noticed the owner today at the Portugal Bbq spot and he looked sad.. I normally say hello but, for some reason made a point not to.. i was kind of in my head..

5660187298_55fa806d23_z.jpg

Driving home, I crossed Canal and stopped at 71 Mulberry. A little fish stand in Chinatown, it was reported to be like 80 degrees today in Manhattan.. The last thing i wanted to do is start trying new fish places in Chinatown.. Though on ice, this was the type of place that had the fish knee level on the street.. First thing that caught my eye were the razor clams. $3.80 a pound.. They were stacked symmetrically with bands in 1.5 lb bundles.. I was allowed to pick them up and they were pretty frisky. Looked over the fish.. The best of the bunch were the mackerel however, i was looking for a meatier fish.. Miss K got a 1 pound salmon steak.. She is not the biggest fan of white fish and we will make a salmon salad sandwich tomorrow for lunch.. Brazino seems to be my go to these days.. Not a bad haul for 15 bucks.

5659257027_f8202bdc20_z.jpg

Using a big Lodge cast iron on the grill, added some oil, then the clams, then a handful of chopped garlic and about half the pilsner i was drinking.. Took some parsley that was growing next to my foot and threw it into the cast iron pan.. The grill was super hot.. We ate the clams while the cast iron was still on the grill.. Added the salmon to the cast iron, put the brazino that was stuffed with garlic, lemon, and tarragon on the grill.

Good dinner. First one in the backyard this year. Don't know how i feel about the fish on the street in the summer.. Though, lobster was 8 bucks a pound, live dungeness crab 10 bucks a lb.. I don't know many NYC flies that like to swim..

Daniel, you crack me up with your little side comments. :lol:

As for us, last night was turketta: butterflied a huge turkey thigh, lined it with very thinly sliced mortadella, covered that with sautéed chopped fennel, onion, garlic plus fennel seed, rosemary, thyme, a little basil(?). Rolled it up and wrapped tightly in nonstick foil (no string). Let it sit in the fridge a couple of days to "marinate" then stuck it in the toaster oven at 200F for 3 hours. The smell was killing us.Opened the package for the last 30 minutes so it wouldn't be quite so pale. It held up pretty well when sliced thick. No crisp skin/rind like porchetta, but it tasted great so not missed so much.

Served with RG cannellini beans cooked with lots of garlic, dried herbs (same as turketta), and olive oil. Thickened the broth by puréeing in the broken beans and some leftover cooked parsnip. Also steamed broccoli rabe, and of course salad. Pinot noir to drink.

The night before, our own ramp fest: removed the leaves from a bunch of ramps; sautéed the ramps in butter. Sautéed sliced fennel. Sautéed the shredded ramp leaves, then added a little heavy cream. Layered first sliced parcooked Yukon gold potatoes, then the ramps, then the fennel, then pieces of cod fillet, and topped with the creamed leaves. Baked just until the fish was done. Served with salad and an Argentine chardonnay that turned out to be pretty good.

Yes, Daniel is a crackup! And his play by play pics add much color. Both meals sound great. Oooh, that ramp dish.

No time to pickup fresh fish last night so I had wife pull frozen fillets of cod and tilapia. Had her marinate in oj, soy and sesame oil (couple drops). She portioned perfectly I must say. When I got home (couple hours later) fillets, were just starting to thaw. I chopped them into 2 by 1 inch cubes, returned to marinade, added blk pepper, paprika, cajun rub and fine chop cillantro and let them defrost fully. Heated a non-stick added olive oil, rolled the cubes in panko and fried a couple mins. I boiled the marinade adding a bit of olive oil and lemon. Came out nice with steamed asparagus, brok and mashed pots.

I’ve been greasing mostly with olive oil last couple weeks. No butter, little cheese, dairy, other oils and red meat due to bad LDLs, triglycerides and cholesterol numbers. Haven’t felt like I’m missing out too much, yet. (Elliptical machine due for delivery tomorrow).

So I picked up a beautiful brill for supper, slightly too big for the three of us but that meant there were no ugly fights.

Baked in the oven with some olive oil and a splash of white wine. Salad of blood orange, fennel and onion, and some new potatoes.

Leflaive generic Bourgogne blanc 2007.

6 dollar dinner.. 1.5 pounds of mussels and two Brazilian sausages from Newark... sliced the sausage and browned, added a handful of garlic, mussels, 3/4 of a beer , some parsley then a shot of srirachi for me...

Digging deep in the freezer we discovered a single Highland Cattle steak that we brought back from Yorkshire last year. Simply fried with chunky chips, mushrooms, loads of water cress and a greenpeppercorn sauce.

Taco night:

Skate (from an overenthusiastic purchase a few weeks ago)

Corn tortillas

Avocado

Homemade salsa verde

Homemade pickled white onion

Lime, cilantro sprigs

Roasted corn/bell pepper sauté with cumin and RG chili powder

MacNeil's Dead Horse IPA

ETA: the qualities in the skate that were so endearing the first time around -- sweetness, tender flesh -- were unfortunately missing after a few weeks' sojourn in the freezer, cooked. It was now bland and tough. :( I've still got at least two meals' worth of fish left. Will have to figure out some way to compensate. Maybe ropa vieja?

Edited by Suzanne F