Vanessa

Supper

I've sort of re-discovered Dorie Greenspan's Around My French Table. A cold managed to hit me right at the long holiday weekend so I've been making a lot of her soups. What struck me about them is that they are deceptively simple, yet all very delicious.

Spicy Vietnamese chicken: Delicious and the potent blend of chiles and ginger really made me feel better.

Creamy cauliflower sans cream: A knock out. I served it with chopped walunts.

Spiced squash, fennel and pear: Another winner

I also tried her buckwheat blinis with smoked salmon, which will also be going into the rotation.

I've sort of re-discovered Dorie Greenspan's Around My French Table. A cold managed to hit me right at the long holiday weekend so I've been making a lot of her soups. What struck me about them is that they are deceptively simple, yet all very delicious.

Spicy Vietnamese chicken: Delicious and the potent blend of chiles and ginger really made me feel better.

Creamy cauliflower sans cream: A knock out. I served it with chopped walunts.

Spiced squash, fennel and pear: Another winner

I also tried her buckwheat blinis with smoked salmon, which will also be going into the rotation.

I also have one of Dorie Greenspan's baking books, and every recipe turns out perfectly -- these are some well tested books.

Stuffed squid served over kale in a wine sauce... Missie K has used all the tooth picks in the house for cat claws so, this shot was prior to getting a spaghetti skewer.

Squid, made a stuffing with fresh bread crumbs, tentacles, chorico, egg, parm, chile, parsley, and a little wine..

6638405515_90952ebc1f_z.jpg

Braised them in white wine, kale, and garlic..

Here is a shot after the meal was already eaten.. So easy and one of the best things i have eaten this year!

6638404865_4b508cacfd_z.jpg

Split a double Mangalitsa rib loin chop I had in the freezer. Seared the chops, then dumped on leftover chestnuts and mushrooms from last week, plus extra shredded fresh sage leaves, and simmered for 30 minutes or so.

Rendered the fat trimmed from the chops, and sautéed shredded cabbage and fennel in some of it, then added a bit of caraway seeds.

Mixed salad with rosemary vinaigrette

Montinore pinot noir to drink

Nice to just cook for the two of us again. And to be able to put away leftover for just us.

We used the carcass from the Christmas roast chicken to make soup--bones plus meat, lots of vegetables, fresh dill and rosemary, and homemade spatzle. Perfect timing too, as I came down with a small cold on Tuesday.

My plan to bake a lot more in 2012 continued with an attempt at making Keema Naan.

I made the keema from what was left of the lamb I ground to make the kofta curry recently

6663508767_5887e36483.jpg

16 by Dos Hermanos, on Flickr

I also made a garlic & coriander leaf naan

6663510941_425110fdce.jpg

24 by Dos Hermanos, on Flickr

I obviously don't have a tandoor, so cooked them on the top shelf of the oven at 425oF. Not quite the same thing, of course and the end results were not as pillowy as those you would get in a decent restaurant. But, they tasted pretty good

Slapsie

Slapsie,

I make stovetop naan - heat a cast iron skillet to medium, add a good tablespoon or two of ghee, heat and swirl to coat the pan, add naan and cover. Cook about two minutes, then flip with tongs and cook another two minutes, covered. Watch that it doesn't blacken. Not tandoor fluffy, but very good.

I have used that method for other Indian breads like roti and paratha, but not for my naan

I'll give it a try with the remaining dough. thanks

Slapsie

SeaGal and SeaGuy came for dinner on Saturday. I made Jacques Pepin's foie terrine using some foie leftover from New Years Eve so we started with that. It turned out quite well! For dinner we had some sausages (spicy and mild Italian and merguez) which I bought at Dot's Delicatessen. We served them with spaghetti con pepe and a green salad that SeaGal made. I made a meyer lemon pudding cake for dessert.

For dinner last night I made mafe. It was really good but a bit soupier than I like.

I have a bunch of smoked salmon left over from the holidays and some peas that I had shelled during the summer so I made a pasta sauce with smoked salmon, peas and bourbon. I couldn't taste the bourbon but the rest tasted pretty good.

Came home from a week for being on the road.. Well not on the road, being on the road would have been awesome.. I was just in a series of shitty hotels. well not shitty but, hotels none the less.. Miss A stuffed chicken breasts with peppers, basil, and mozz, breaded, browned, roasted.. Served with broccoli rabe and garlic.. Coming in to the house, Lola attacks me, Miss K hugs me, , Miss A kisses me, Maya bites me, I smell dinner cooking.. Life is good...

<snip> Coming in to the house, Lola attacks me, Miss K hugs me, , Miss A kisses me, Maya bites me, I smell dinner cooking.. Life is good...

Daniel, that is such a wonderful thing to read.

Thank you..

We made chile last night.. 2.5 lbs of ground beef and then like the kitchen sink.. Guajillo chile and chile mulato, chocolate and a bunch of cumin were the strongest of flavor.. a stick of cinnamon, nutmeg, arbol, and cloves were in the background... whatever was really in the old spice rack. making pasta tomorrow so I had a few sheets leftover.. made a chili lasagna tonight.. chili, pasta sheet, chili, onion, taco cheese, mozzarella, pasta sheet, yatta yatta.. added a little stock I had cooking on the stove to moisten it..

It was delicious.. served with sour cream.. So not something i normally make but,, Miss K loved it.. Lots of left overs, and of course just straight chili that needs to be dealt with.. Maybe straight to the freezer.. It gets repetitive.

Dinner on Friday was supposed to be cassoulet but the beans never softened (and I bought a smoked ham hock instead of a fresh one, and I couldn't find pork skin and, and, and) so, at the last minute, I switched gears and made Tom Douglas' French green lentils and served them with the duck confit. We had smoked salmon to start and a green salad with the duck and lentils. Dessert was a mixture of citrus (Meyer lemon, grapefruit, oranges, etc) tossed with honey syrup, put in ramekins and topped with turbinado sugar then broiled.

Yesterday, I made a soup using the smoked hock, barley and a bunch of vegetables I had hanging around.