Vanessa

Supper

More recipe testing, this time for Coq Au Vin with Robuchon style mashed potatoes.

I couldn't find a cock (surprising as there are so many of them in LA :rolleyes: ) so used a boiling chicken.

Also struggled to find ratte potatoes, so just used what I had, a mixture of Yukon Gold and White Rose.

6729139657_13aacc8a3b_z.jpg

31 by Dos Hermanos, on Flickr

Slapsie

Looks great... There was this one time I was bringing in these ceramic Roosters from China... Every email from this guy was titled 15" Ceramic Cock..

Last night, I made mussels in a beer sauce... I used 1.5 onions for every pound of mussels.. A couple of beers, some chicken stock, a little sour cream, a little mustard, a 1/4 cup of cream. Topped with parsley. Delicious.

I bought some pork cutlets from this Polish Butcher in Union, NJ www.unionporkstore.com In addition to a variety of sausages (115) and house smoked everything, they also have a pretty nice butcher section. I bought 8 pork cutlets that were really beautiful looking.. The guy was telling me, I eat all of my things raw.. even my chicken you can eat raw it is so fresh... I don't think freshness has anything to do with eating raw chicken but, I don't really know. I told him I was making schnitzel and he ran the pork cutlets through a tenderizing machine. he said, i would not have to pound it out now. the machine looked like a large pasta sheeter except there are tiny nails in it the stab the meat.. Flour, egg, flour, cooked in butter.. topped with a chicken stock, caper, lemon, butter sauce.. served with their German Potato salad with bacon.

Dessert we made a chocolate ganache cake and shots of Underberg

I found an interesting,flavorful pasta at Fairway recently-Chanterelle Trompettes from Alpina Savoie...cooked last night with.rabbit liver ragu:bit of dry Vermouth and shallots... fennel salad on the side;] for good health.

N went to a conference in Newfoundland this past July and brought home a local cookbook and a bag of pease pudding (yellow peas, not green). Today seemed the perfect day to make it. I boiled the bag in a mixture of chicken stock and water with a ham hock and bay leaves; after about an hour or so, I added turnips, parsnips, and carrots, seasoned the broth with a little pepper, dried thyme, and TJ's South African seasoning, and cooked everything until the vegetables were soft but not mushy. The peas were a little dry and starchy when they were done, but softened up nicely when I poured the broth mixture over it. Separately, N made a classic sweet-and-sour braised red cabbage, to which she added caraway seed and cooked chestnuts at the very end. With some Brooklyn Brown Ale to drink, it was a very good snowy day meal.

Batata Vada. A street snack I have been craving since my last visit to India.

They are made of spiced mashed potatoes, coated in a batter of Besan (chick pea flour)and deep fried. I also added fried onions and fresh green chili to my potato mix.

6746723559_893bd6f18a.jpg

12 by Dos Hermanos, on Flickr

I served mine with a dip made of green chili, coriander leaf, mint leaf, lime juice & zest, garlic, ginger and salt.

6746721917_63431c42a8.jpg

12a by Dos Hermanos, on Flickr

Slapsie

kale caesar salad, vitello tonnato dressing on top of raw filet bruschetta, chick pea mussel salad with red onion, celery,garlic, olive oil and harissa, a salt cod gratin, sweet and sour tongue, pork cutlets, pork belly and sour kraut, homemade spinach pasta with cauliflower and chicken livers, pineapple upside down cake with quantro and guava juice, stuffed squid...it was a bit of an overkill.. fun weekend though.

looking forward to salt cod gratin ravioli in a béchamel tomorrow night.

Gnocchi, homemade with guanciale, mozzarella, in a tomato basil sauce.

Roasted chicken with a caper sauce and a kale Caesar salad.

Really nice bottle of red.

They are made of spiced mashed potatoes, coated in a batter of Besan (chick pea flour)and deep fried. I also added fried onions and fresh green chili to my potato mix.

I served mine with a dip made of green chili, coriander leaf, mint leaf, lime juice & zest, garlic, ginger and salt.

Slapsie

awesome!

After several days of eating very frugally (soup made from lettuce too frozen for salad; burgers of leftover rice-and-beans; salmon croquettes with leftover macaroni and cheese), I was craving MEAT. So I bought a 3.35-pound boneless leg of lamb. Rubbed it with a paste of home-mixed herbes de Provence and oil and let it sit all day. Cooked for 50 minutes in the rotisserie at 400ºF, then let it sit about 20 minutes before slicing. The outside slices were perfect; inside is still quite rare, but that's fine since it will be recooked when needed.

Served with roasted acorn squash slices and leftover chard and kale, now with mashed roasted garlic. Salad with tarragon vinaigrette

Heartland Shiraz to drink.

That sounds lovely.. You have the cuisine art rotisserie right? Are you still happy with it.

That sounds lovely.. You have the cuisine art rotisserie right? Are you still happy with it.

Oh, yes. It takes up a lot of real estate on the counter, but it does a great job, cooking evenly and putting a lovely crust on the food.

The next-best thing about it is the recipe booklet: I can interpolate from the timings and they always work. The booklet said 15 to 18 minutes per pound to get lamb to medium-rare, and 40 to 50 minutes at 400 for a 2.33-pound piece. Putting those numbers together with my heavier piece of meat, and the knowledge that we prefer it rare, and I got a perfectly cooked roast. Timing interpolations have also worked for swordfish kebabs and a few other items.

The inside capacity is surprisingly large. I've done 6-pound chickens, and could do a 5-pound hunk of beef. And it is very easy to clean, just wiping down the inside and putting all the other parts in the dishwasher. Yes, I am very happy with it, still.

That sounds great.. Right now, I have this huge dehydrator taking up a ton of room.. We have yet to do anything with it. .It was a gift.. I received an email from the electric bread maker in the basement. telling me he was lonely.

Slapsie

awesome!

Thanks. They are very, very easy to make and well worth a try

Slapsie