Sign in to follow this  
Rail Paul

Seattle for Kids

The NYT has an article about kid-friendly Seattle. Although a climate based on frequent rain wouldn't seem attractive to some parents, the NYT suggests Seattle is a great place to visit with kids.

Among dining establishments are

Cutter's Bayhouse at Pike Place Market (don't locals usually call it the Public Market?) is mentioned as kid-friendly, with crayons and children's menu at the ready.

Kasper's on West Harrison by Seattle Center is described as offering kids tours of the kitchen, with an opportunity to help make their own desserts.

Blue C Sushi in Fremont offers visual excitement as the dishes of sushi circulate on a conveyor belt and Japanese anime videos flicker on the big screen.

Seattle

Guest rockdoggydog

registration free link didn't work. Oh well.

rocky

Poke!!

We will be in Seattle soon and are looking for restaurants that are kind to kids or cater specifically to kids. Our kids are foodies and do not feast on hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken nuggets, or spaghetti. We plan on a roving feast through Pikes Place Market.

Thanks!!

Dan Mages

I don't have kids but I remember people talking about Vios being a good choice.

I've only been a few times and it was eons ago but the Tutta Bella by my house had a lot of families dining there.

Veraci Pizza in Ballard (lovely artisan pizza) is also very kid friendly without being a "family restaurant" in the negative sense. La Isla (Puerto Rican food also in Ballard) would work well.

The NYT has an article about kid-friendly Seattle....

Cutter's Bayhouse at Pike Place Market (don't locals usually call it the Public Market?) is mentioned as kid-friendly, with crayons and children's menu at the ready.

Cutter's? Is this the same Cutter's whose south-facing windows line Steinbrueck Park where all the passed-out drunks lounge on the grass all day long while others play Let's Make A Dope Deal? I don't know about kids but I sure didn't enjoy walking along there.

At least the kids can use the crayons to practice becoming police sketch artists. :)

Clearly Really Nice! has more delicate sensibilities than I. Yes, there are plenty of our more colorful natives that hang out in the park but I've never felt unsafe or uncomfortable there.

That said, Cutters isn't someplace I would send anyone who is interested in food. It's where I take out of towners who are picky diners.

As the parent of 2 young kids who love going out to eat, I should weigh in here...

Around the Market, most restaurants cater to children, since tourists are such a large portion of their biz. In terms of the combo of food quality and kid friendliness, I recommend Steelhead (and its sister restaurant Blueacre, downtown) and Taste at SAM.

Some of my kids' other favorites:

Dim sum at O'Asian

Ma'ono (Hawaiian tinged food in West Seattle)

Mango Thai (near the airport, if you need something pre/post flight)

Toulouse Petit

Green Leaf

Please don't go to Wild Ginger.

Toulouse Petit's happy hour is very tempting. Blueacre's box lunch may come in handy while visiting the sights.

Please don't go to Wild Ginger.

Wild Ginger has been black flagged. We have a similar restaurant here called Sakura Garden that sells crap they try to pass off as Pan Asian. In reality, it is an Old Country Buffet style food trough filled with Asian classics like bananas covered in industrial cherry topping, chicken nuggets, and worse. Thy also have sushi... Or should I say it is an insult to the art that is sushi. The most interesting aspect of the restaurant is the crying from the ghosts of many dead fish calling out, "Why did I die for this crap??"

• Like 1