ngatti

Onglet

Onglet is NOT overrated. It is simply the most flavorful cut. You don't need to buy SRF to get the good stuff either. Pounded flat and left to rest in a quick marinade of olive oil, crushed garlic, fresh thyme and rosemary...that's all you need. It's pleasantly livery....But some people, blasphemous fools I'd say, won't eat it for that reason...These are typically the same people that pass the neon red tenderloins at the market and froth at the mouth....I've never tried the veal version....

Ban me now: I think all beef is over-rated.

for such heresy you will be banned not just from this site but also from mongomania. recant sinner!

Maybe it's the livery taste. Though I adore calves liver and rognons (lamb and veal)

As far as strong and gamey, I don't think it compares much with the earthiness of a very long aged strip. I'm not talkin' 28 days here. I mean a coupla months on the hook.

After a very mediocre supermarket strip loin this evening (KC sirloin), I can see everyones point. Any onglet I've ever had is far far superior to this so-called premium cut of steak. This supermarket choice or select beef isn't worth the Cry-O-Vac it's wrapped in.

I think I need to try one prepared by Chef Nick. That's the only way to make a fair decision. ;)

Maybe it's the livery taste. Though I adore calves liver and rognons (lamb and veal)

Calf's liver isn't that livery considering it's liver, neither are kidneys (but you have to try wild hare kidneys once ;) ). I agree that onglet and flatiron can be a bit too much (and I REALLY like game and liver), but maybe it's also related to the quantities that we've grown used to? I think some thin slices would be just fine.

With regards to beef - it's not as simple as "flavorful cuts" against "tasteless fillet". Entrecote cut to the right thickness and grilled quite violently (as it used to be in Les Halles) is lovely and very flavorful without being at all gamey (maybe earthy is a fair description), so is the super marbled beef in Japan.

With regards to beef, I haven't found any that has the depth of flavor to compare with heritage pork or bison.