Rick Bayless uses it to advantage (in my opinion) in his version of Pastel de Tres Leches:  an almond genoise from Rose Levy Beranbaum's Cake Bible, brushed with milk, cream, and cajeta.  It is heaven, pure and simple. 

I actually bought his cookbook just for that one recipe. Of course, now it's packed away with my other stuff in storage in Texas. :blink:

Here ya go! How's the rest of the book? Worth getting? I have and like ONE PLATE. . . .

http://www.fronterakitchens.com/cooking/re...rationcake.html

edit: removed a question I wouldn't have asked had I scrolled down to the bottom of the page before posting and asked a new, better one instead.

Edited by GrantK

Bayless's best was his first: Authentic Mexican. But Mexican Kitchen does have a lot of good pieces of wisdom and discussions of ingredients and dishes. One Plate is merely good for a couple of recipes and that's it. I got it on sale at Powell's for $12 new. (See the clearance books link in my sig and do a search for Bayless; there always seem to be a couple Bayless books on sale there.)

btw, anyone ever try to make cajeta with coconut milk instead of milk? I was thinking of trying, but I just don't know if it would work.

• 4 years later...

Cajeta is something very mexican, and I find it amazing! It's very sweet, but it makes a really great ingredient in a mexican dessert- especially in crepes. Thanks for those who posted up the dessert recipes, I will be trying them out soon!

Cajeta is something very mexican, and I find it amazing! It's very sweet, but it makes a really great ingredient in a mexican dessert- especially in crepes. Thanks for those who posted up the dessert recipes, I will be trying them out soon!

Welcome, fiona. If the cajeta brought you here, that's a grand thing!