Madrid Museums

MitchW

In our short stay in Madrid last week (next time, it'll be a longer stay for sure), we (re)visited both the Museo del Prado as well as the Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía. We had a need to (re)see some classic works, and both museums had excellent exhibitions currently running.

At the Prado, before spending time getting as depressed as possible, we took in this:

Reversos  - a quite fascinating look at what goes on behind and in back of a work of art. Then it was time for depression, so we trudged to this:

The Lost Mirror. Jews and Converts in Medieval Spain - what is there to say?

To cheer ourselves up, we took in Bosch, el Greco, Goya and Velazquez.  I then needed a drink. What an amazing museum; that's all. It's also great because they don't allow photography - I wish every museum would do the same (I know, I know, I take pictures, but I do it without annoying everyone around me, and also with the knowledge that, for instance, Las Meninas is not going to be better because I'm in front of the fucking painting).

The following day, we headed out after lunch to the Reina Sofia. In addition to (re)seeing Guernica and it's attendant works (I particularly like the Dora Maar photographs of Guernica in progress), there was this wonderfully curated exhibition:

Picasso 1906 -- The Turning Point - basically focused on one year of Picasso's life (when he was 25), an in depth look at what influenced him, and his influence on modern art. Astounding stuff.

Since they let you take photographs at the Reina, what the hell...

IMG_1098.jpeg.bdff13fb2d7e7868401b4b5328768e0a.jpeg

El Greco, for Picasso.

IMG_1101.jpeg.e1528ce8eaf4634a125da288f913e964.jpeg

Gertrude Stein, for Picasso.

IMG_1105(1).thumb.jpeg.caf0726925e3d7e56d6230dfb5775fa3.jpeg

Picasso, for the world.

Stendahled out.

Edited by MitchW