Katie Holmes

Guest Aaron T

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know there are several other Katie Holmes fans on MF, so I had to post this unfortunate news, which I saw on Defamer.com   Rather disgusting.    

aren't you all just cynical? Maybe it's true love. Ashton and Demi seem to be doing well.

Was Tom Cruise, Thomas Cruz?

I'm thinking maybe Tom and Katie aren't getting married so fast because she won't sign his confidentiality pre-nup custody whatever else agreement.

You think she hasn't already signed his confidentiality pre-preggers custody you-give-me-the-kid-I-give-you-the-money whatever else agreement?

The origin of the name Suri

Not everybody recognised the word ‘Suri’ as Hebrew of “princess”.

sfgate.com: Baby Suri’s name can be traced to a Hebrew word meaning “princess” or “noblewoman,” but by such a circuitous route that the connection is lost on most Israelis. Since the birth Tuesday in Los Angeles, bemused Israeli TV and radio presenters have debated the word’s origins. “Nobody here has ever really heard of it,” an announcer on Israel’s Army Radio said during a discussion Thursday. The Yediot Ahronot newspaper agreed in its half-page splash on the celebrity birth. “We seem to have learned a new Hebrew word — and from Tom Cruise, no less,” said a Channel 2 TV anchorman.

So what’s the explaination to all that confusion?

sfgate has the answer: Avshalom Koor, who has for years presented TV and radio spots on the intricacies of Hebrew, said Suri was a derivation of Sarah — the name of Biblical patriarch Abraham’s wife — as pronounced by some Central European Jews.

“Suri is a pet name for Sarah,” Koor told Army Radio. “The Ashkenazi (Jews) of Poland and Hungary pronounce it Suri.”

Hmm.

Princess in Yiddish is prinzesin, or basmalke, according to my own experience, my mother and to several Yiddish dictionaries I have. But I will ask a few native Yiddish speakers and scholars to be sure.

Other theories:

Suri Cruise = Syracuse

Suri is for Surrey, England, where there's a Scientology center.

I thought it was telling that her parents weren't there for the birth. Very sad.

Maybe she didn't want her parents there for the birth, like in a perfectly normal way? Lots of people don't want their parents there for the births.

It's a term that denotes expulsion, like 'Get out of here'," said Gideon Goldenberg, a linguistics professor at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. "It's pretty blunt."

Well if I were pregnant for a year and a half I would feel very much the same way.