we might replicate some content already posted in that other place but still...

ate at rio grande (off walnut and 9th?) on monday night. our dining companions had set our expectations very low. i got the snow crab enchilada and asked them not to smother it. instead got their spicy green chile on the side. i thought my enchilada was decent. the margarita certainly was. mrs. jones liked her food fine as well, but i forget what she ate. definitely better than terrace maya and ajuaa!!--for what that's worth--and much better also than my one meal at that la mariposa place in 28th/valmont center where the indian store is. not sure how it compares to casa alvarez since we haven't been there in a while. but not as good as our one takeout meal (with fml) from santiago's.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always thought the food at the Rio is ok. I especially like the way they do fajitas (you get a steak and some large chunks of grilled veggies that you then cut up yourself) as it is different.

I like some of the things on the menu at Casa Alvarez as well, especially the lamb enchiladas which are a 'special' that they seem to have most of the time.

Finally, though it isn't Boulder, we are pretty big fans of Three Margaritas in (among other places) Broomfield at 120th and Main. Its a great place for familiers (we've got 3 kids) and, even though some of their food is pretty gringofied (is that a word?) I really like their more traditional dishes such as the carne asada.

Just my 2 cents....

p.s. Playa Azul is loathsome. I won't elaborate more since I really don't want to re-live the experience, but it was truly awful.

To me Playa (assuming the one in Boulder is the same as the one in Denver - the same group/family must also own the several Lagunas around town, either that or they get their menus at the same place - ethnicrestaurantmenus.com maybe?) is one of those places where the only way to get halfway decent food is to order the more traditional stuff (sensing a trend from me on the trad food yet? :blink: ). They have a carne adobada that has nicely marinated pieces of pork that are grilled/sauteed with onions and then served with pico de gallo on fresh corn tortillas, its generally good to very good. The pico sometimes is made w/ less than quality ingredients.

YMMV

p.s. Playa Azul is loathsome. I won't elaborate more since I really don't want to re-live the experience, but it was truly awful.

I'm glad we dodged that bullet! Mr. rlm spotted Playa Azul whilst riding his road bike and we almost ended up there the other evening (pulled up in the parking lot but I didn't particularly want to go inside). Wasn't there another mediocre Mexican place in that spot before?

I must second the costillas at Efrain's! I seem to remember fml endorsing them as well on that other board.

Santiago's in Lafayette has their new building finished, so there are actual indoor tables now. Swanky.

The Rio's margs are lethal (Everclear).

• 2 months later...

This isn't a Boulder Mexican spot, but it's in the northern burbs so I'll mention it in this thread: Que Bueno across from the AMC24 in Westminster. I think it's been open about a month. We originally noticed it when we went to see Star Wars. Our server acted like he was 11 years old. They brought out green and red salsas that were both heated, along with pico de gallo. They were still making the enchilada sauce 45 minutes into their lunch service and they brought the goopy (as in dressing-drenched) spicy Caesar side salad well after the entrees arrived (and they had to be asked for it, only to tell me, "It's not ready yet."). The Caesar tasted very close to the Spicy Thai salad at Noodles (a place I like much more than this one). I'm sure they will get movie traffic, but I expect the new Hacienda Colorado across the highway will kick their butts.

• 2 months later...

so, after driving past it for a year we finally went to sol azteca for dinner last night. (i was supposed to cook but got involved in a 90 minute conversation with an old friend--which worked out nicely since i didn't want to cook.) this is the brightly coloured place across the street from safeway on the corner of 28th and iris (in the diagonal mall or something like that).

when you're going south on 28th sol azteca is not a good place to go to for the first time at night--it is bloody difficult to figure out how to get to it; especially with rain, road-construction on iris and a bloody great blinding floodlight from gart sports. but eventually we made it in. in a good sign the salsa was not bad at all, and we ordered some guacamole--nothing great but not offensive either. our mains: mrs. jones got the enchiladas poblanas and i got the chile colorado (a "signature dish"). both were really quite good. perhaps we got lucky with the things we ordered but this was our best mexican meal in boulder in 2 years.

anyone else been there?

edit: to add location

Edited by mongo_jones
  • 1 month later...

we ate at sol azteca again last night--cooking plans went awry. meal was fine--nothing remarkable--but it was heavy and i wish i hadn't eaten that whole gigantic burrito, filled with carnitas, covered in guacamole and sour cream. luckily i stay up till 2 a.m anyway.

the salsa was nice and hot. me likey. also likey that there's a place that serves dinner past 9 pm so close to us.

I ate dinner last night with my daughter at Mamacita's on the Hill. It was our observance of parent's weekend at CU.

Mamacita's is a small, homey family-owned and run Mexican restaurant. It has been around for years, but this was the first time I ate there. Mama herself is in the kitchen cooking. Her son Harvey is behind the bar, and running things. (Disclosure: We met Harvey, and his wife, when they came to our home for Rosh Hashana dinner a few weeks ago; my cousin works with his wife, blah blah. . .)

So anyway, the cook is a Jewish mother, a Mexican Jewish mother. We asked Harvey for his recommendations; he said to avoid the Tex Mex choices; he said his favorites were the chicken milanesa, and the fish tacos; he also likes the chile relleno. We asked him to just bring us food, whatever mama suggested. The food was simple and good. Their green chile is chicken based, I think (perhaps a Jewish family recipe?); we had some of what I'd guess is chile con queso, the green chile melting with a smooth stringy white cheese. Not hot hot, but mellow and full flavored. The chicken milanesa was a battered chicken breast topped with roasted anaheim chile and cheese. Nothing fancy, not "wow," but far removed from the world of steam table burritos (they do have all of those standards on the menu). The Chile Relleno was a roasted pepper (stem still on) with a light, almost tempura like coating, filled with white cheese. Delicious. There were small plastic cups of accompanying salsas. It's a casual, inexpensive joint on the Hill, with good food and atmosphere.

thanks for the rec fml--will check it out, maybe even on wednesday.

If you go to Mamacita's, if Harvey is there, please say hello to him for me; tell him that we've eaten together and that you heard me saying nice things about them.

• 10 months later...

(can a mod please change the topic title to "boulder county mexican"?)

dinner last night at efrain's in lafayette (s. public and cleveland). mrs. jones got the costillas, i got the chilli verde bowl. we also got some fried jalapenos that startled us with their heat. overall: me likey very much. tasty food, low prices. we will go back to efrain's often.

(can a mod please change the topic title to "boulder county mexican"?)

dinner last night at efrain's in lafayette (s. public and cleveland). mrs. jones got the costillas, i got the chilli verde bowl. we also got some fried jalapenos that startled us with their heat. overall: me likey very much. tasty food, low prices. we will go back to efrain's often.

Didn't see you. I was there last night too. Ate the costillas, as always. There's a newish Mexican place Tapatio's(?) in a storefront farther south on Public Rd, just south of the Sonic. I tried it for breakfast the other day, and enjoyed the huevos. It's a plain place and the menu's limited; as a plus, it's open all day.