• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

efrain's again for lunch today. i got the mondongo bowl, a beef stew/soup kind of thing, served with tortillas. i started out liking it but then it struck me that if i'd ordered a beef curry at an indian restaurant and received this i would have been pissed off, and so decided i didn't like it. mrs. jones liked her chimichanga though.

efrain's again for lunch today. i got the mondongo bowl, a beef stew/soup kind of thing, served with tortillas. i started out liking it but then it struck me that if i'd ordered a beef curry at an indian restaurant and received this i would have been pissed off, and so decided i didn't like it. mrs. jones liked her chimichanga though.

My friend Norm has the mondongo in his regular rotation. I find it to be pretty uninteresting, and call it

"mexican boeuf bourgignon". I have other things in my rotation. The dish I order most is the #10- The Mexican Huevos. It's corn tortillas, eggs as you like, beans on the side, smothered with the chile verde. You will see a theme here, most everything I get has the chile verde as a component. Don't get the Spanish style- very bland thin red sauce.

My #2 is the Costillas, which you have already had, so I won't bother to describe.

Occasionally I get the Blue Corn Enchiladas, hold the "salad", aka the big pile of lettuce and tomatoes atop which get all soggy and gross with the heat. Here's where the Lafayette restaurant and the Efrain's II on 63rd really differ. At the 63rd street incarnation, they are MUCH more generous with the sauce. I like sauce.

And finally, on wednesday I got the chicken fajitas, which is best split between 2 people- it's huge, and split, it's a bargain. You can pick and choose what "condiments" you get (cheese, sour cream, beans, rice, onions, tomato, lettuce, green salsa), they don't tell you that you can alter the condiment plate, but they will do it. I've found it easier to say what I do want rather that what to leave off. I narrow down the items I want on the condiment plate, and order a half order of the ..... chile verde, of course. Even with split with another person, there's still leftovers. Norm prefers the corn tortillas, I find them difficult to stuff, so we have to get both the flour and the corn.

Okay, one more. The tamales are good. But not with the sauce they come with. Must get it changed to..... you guessed it- the chile verde.

And my friend Sky swears by the chile colorado bowl, which bored me. Scott, however, almost always gets the "Steak San Lorenzo", which baffles me. Not that it's bad, but it's an inferior bit of meat with some peppers... big whoop.

Wanna be daring? order the Efrain special. No requests or subs, just whatever they want to give you.

I'd be interested that if you went to the 63rd street (just N of arapahoe by about 200 feet) and compared them, what you'd think. I find that it's the best of the 3, and WAY better than the Longmont shop.

Mondongo sounds like something from Cape Verde!

But fajitas, chimichangas, blue corn.... sounds like southwestern more than Mexican food, which can be good but not quite the same.

Oh, you purist! Southwestern (aka New Mex) is what passes here. At least it's a respite from Tex-Mex!

But fajitas, chimichangas, blue corn.... sounds like southwestern more than Mexican food, which can be good but not quite the same.

Oh, you purist! Southwestern (aka New Mex) is what passes here. At least it's a respite from Tex-Mex!

Are there really no Mexican restaurants?

I actually love chimichangas. Fajitas I don't get beyond the drama of a sizzling plate because they use plain old bell peppers instead of any of a dozen more interesting ones.

Blue corn is used in parts of Mexico. I like it, too.

I've never heard of Mondongo which only means I've never heard of Mondongo. But it does sound more African to me.

I had a discussion about mondongo a while back with someone. IIRC it refers to tripe (or maybe offal in general). The topic came up because the person wanted a mondongo Andaluz recipe. I know how much you love Moors.

Had lunch at Pupusas on N. Broadway near Yarmouth–A great hole in the wall in the grungy strip that's also home to North Boulder Cafe/Dragon cafe. It's mostly a Mexican taqueria; they serve soft tacos (and boast of making the tortillas constantly throughout the day), tortas, burritos; meats include carnitas, lengua, carne asada, adobo. They also have pupusas, a Salvadoran specialty. We tried the pupusa prepared with chicharones. They have a good selection of salsas. Their green chile is chunks of pork, little liquid; not soupy. We had a feast, for about $11.00 for two of us. The tacos are $1.25 or $1.50 each. The man behind the counter recommended the taco delambre (I don't think I'm remembering what it was called correctly), saying it was the best taco I would ever taste. I don't know about that, but it was one delicious taco.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

a very nice lunch at the efrain's in lafayette yesterday. we like eating there partly because they let the dogs sit with us on the patio. mrs. jones got the lethal chili verde bowl. i got the menudo--the order resulted for some reason in the waiter speaking to me in spanish for the rest of the meal, completely oblivious to the fact that i didn't seem to understand a word he said and did not respond.

a big bowl of menudo (con pata, as he recommended) and some chilled negra modello--not a bad way to pass an hour and a half on a lovely saturday afternoon.

after the farmers' market today we met cheesemonger at pupusa's. i don't remember what the others got, but i got four soft tacos: carnitas, lengua, adobada, and buche (described as pork chest meat). $1.50 a pop. the carnitas taco was a little boring but the others were great. we also got the flan, which was also very good. three people ate very well (plus guac) for $13 each after tax and tip. i think we might have to go back very soon so i can try the rest of the tacos.

after the farmers' market today we met cheesemonger at pupusa's. i don't remember what the others got, but i got four soft tacos: carnitas, lengua, adobada, and buche (described as pork chest meat). $1.50 a pop. the carnitas taco was a little boring but the others were great. we also got the flan, which was also very good. three people ate very well (plus guac) for $13 each after tax and tip. i think we might have to go back very soon so i can try the rest of the tacos.

Just like a man- it's all about *you*.

mrs. jones got the chile verde, and I got the Salvadoran Tamals. They were the first thing I've had there that I didn't love. It was a "special", but that sign has been up for weeks. Lots of smooth cornmeal, the filling was chicken in some of it, potatoes in another part, posole in another part. It wasn't bad, it was just kind of bland. I usually get a couple of pupusas (or the sincronizada) and I always get ones with cheese in them, and I always love them, so I thought I'd try something different.

Even so, there were 2 large tamals, rice and beans, and I was so full after one I couldn't eat the other- I brought it home for tomorrow's lunch.

Just like a man- it's all about *you*.

mrs. jones got the chile verde, and I got the Salvadoran Tamals. They were the first thing I've had there that I didn't love. It was a "special", but that sign has been up for weeks. Lots of smooth cornmeal, the filling was chicken in some of it, potatoes in another part, posole in another part. It wasn't bad, it was just kind of bland. I usually get a couple of pupusas (or the sincronizada) and I always get ones with cheese in them, and I always love them, so I thought I'd try something different.

Even so, there were 2 large tamals, rice and beans, and I was so full after one I couldn't eat the other- I brought it home for tomorrow's lunch.

What's the exact address of this "Pupusas" place? Do they have a web site? I'd love to try it.

Thanks,

Hoff

Pupusas is at 4457 North Broadway. Phone: 303-444-1729. Hours: Mon-Sat 10:00 am to 9:00 pm. If you're driving north, it's in an old strip mall on the left-hand side next to the Salvation Army (right before you get to the new-ish area with Proto's and 4580). I don't think they have a website, but they have printed take-out menus available.

Mongo is obviously delusional, as the carnitas tacos rock (especially with one of their salsas). Would you trust a person who went to a pupusas joint and didn't even eat one of their glorious cheesy pupusas? ha ha.

Edit to add - I hastily scanned the take-out menu:

pupusas.jpg