Heritage Pork

I had the opportunity to sample some sausage made from 'black pigs' at Lupa last night,courtesy of Heritage Foods USA.Holy sh*t,this was tasty-the meat is way darker[they were having trouble convincing some customers that it wasn't undercooked],and just had a depth of flavor that was wonderful.I've looked at the Heritage Foods catalogue,and can't see buying half a pig for half a months' rent anytime soon,but for those who can...highly recommended.

Flying Pigs Farm (Union Square Fridays and Saturdays) has Red Hair Tamworths; Glouchester Old Spots; and Large Blacks.

And not cheap, I might add. I did get some of their bacon this weekend, and it's good, though I still like Schaller's double smoked better.

Flying Pigs Farm (Union Square Fridays and Saturdays) has Red Hair Tamworths; Glouchester Old Spots; and Large Blacks.

And not cheap, I might add. I did get some of their bacon this weekend, and it's good, though I still like Schaller's double smoked better.

Certainly not cheap. Though the blade steak I picked up a couple weekends ago was delicious. Still haven't tried their bacon.

Has anyone tried the wild boar from the fellow a few stalls north of Flying Pigs Farm?

Also, did I read somewhere that Flying Pigs is supplying the pork for tomorrow night's Savoy dinner?

I've ordered from these folks before:

http://www.berkshiremeats.com/

Not sure how prices and minimum quantities compare to the catalog.

what was the quality like orik? their prices seem quite reasonable, i say while trying to figure out if it would be boston butt or loin that i would cube up for vindaloo...

Steven, Liza said it on this very thread, that Flying Pig is supplying the pork for tomorrow...

I should get some sleep.

(Don't worry, Steven: I said it on the Savoy thread :blink: )

But, yes, I'm a big fan of this small farm. Michael and Jennifer are enthusiastic and sincere in their approach, and they're raising some terrific breeds. Yes, it's not cheap. But it's pork raised by people who care about the animal and about the diner. Your money keeps a small family farm afloat; keeps the land arable and not conglomerated; and is local (eliminating the cost of fuel for transport) and fresher. Plus, isn't it nice to have a relationship with the people who supply you with your food?

mongo: fyi, you can also order from Flying Pig and they ship. My family did that in the fall with great success.

price is a major factor. the perhaps unintentional kids in the hall reference in their name, however, pleases me.

does anyone know how much per lb boston butt and loin (bone-in and boneless) are from flying pig?

mongo:  fyi, you can also order from Flying Pig and they ship.  My family did that in the fall with great success.

price is a major factor. the perhaps unintentional kids in the hall reference in their name, however, pleases me.

does anyone know how much per lb boston butt and loin (bone-in and boneless) are from flying pig?

I'm not positive, but I believe the 2 1/2 - 3 lb bone-in butt I picked up from them was around $25.

I've ordered from these folks before:

http://www.berkshiremeats.com/

Not sure how prices and minimum quantities compare to the catalog.

what was the quality like orik? their prices seem quite reasonable, i say while trying to figure out if it would be boston butt or loin that i would cube up for vindaloo...

when in doubt go with butt?

Quality was good overall. I recall not being terribly happy with the ribs, but that may have been due to my poor treatment. I haven't tried flying pig yet.