Heritage Pork

i wonder if i would be able to taste the difference in a vindaloo. i am going to give the berkshire folk a try soon.

liza, if i ever make it to nyc you can ply me with flying pig and try to change my ways.

I bought a piece of Flying Pigs pork shoulder at the greenmarket on Saturday-a beautifully textured piece of meat if I ever saw one...but used it for grilled,well spiced skewers..which in retrospect was not the best way to check out the flavor of the meat itself.The texture was good,but the spice was the story.I wouldn't spent this $$$ for doing a vindalooski,would use this pork shoulder for a braise next time.

i say while trying to figure out if it would be boston butt or loin that i would cube up for vindaloo...

Use loin unless you want a long braise. The butt is a tough piece.

I had some Flying Pigs pork shoulder left,and thought,what the hell...vindaloo is a braise,I'll give it a whirl..and proceeded to brown with mustard oil and braise in tamarind water and vinegar[plus lots of spices,etc.]The result was quite nice,very soft fat melty meat,which retained some of its flavor,plus the wonderfullness of vindaloo sauce....so I take it back,farm raised pork does make a great,albeit costly,vindalooski.

• 15 years later...
  • 4 months later...

continued...we grilled one tonight.    Truthfully remarkable.    Tender as love, "rear-back" flavor.    I actually sent up a paean to this quite extraordinary pig.