Denver Area Restaurants in National Media

June 2007 Cooking Light:

Denver is in the Enlightened Traveler article.

Best Splurge Meal: Rioja

Best Bistro: Duo

Best Pre-Theater Dining: Kevin Taylor

Best Food Finds: Marczyk Fine Foods

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Not that anyone in this state still reads this board, but Fruition in Denver and Kelly Liken in Vail are in Bon Appetit's September Restaurant Issue. Alex Seidel of Fruition's Plum Tarte Tatin and Kelly Liken's Pan-Seared Veal Chops with Farro Ragout are featured recipes.

Not that anyone in this state still reads this board, but Fruition in Denver and Kelly Liken in Vail are in Bon Appetit's September Restaurant Issue. Alex Seidel of Fruition's Plum Tarte Tatin and Kelly Liken's Pan-Seared Veal Chops with Farro Ragout are featured recipes.

Some of us are still lurking in the background, reading every one of your posts.

Some of us are still lurking in the background, reading every one of your posts.

Just wait until I start my tour of Wal-Mart snack bars. That will cure you of that habit. <_<

Why does the winking smiley look wasted?

CITY magazine’s 101 Favorite Restaurants list in the July/August ish for cities from Albuquerque to Washington D.C. has blurbs from Lori Midson on Frasca, Tacos y Salsas, and the SAME Café. Whole-heartedly in agreement on the first two, although I’ve never heard of the SAME Café in Denver. Some interloper named Christie Allen mentions Jax as having “some of the country’s best seafood.” Um, no. I like Jax just fine, but one of the best in the entire nation? Besides, the Boulder location mercilessly modified the only dish I really craved--the blackened catfish skillet dish (which no longer comes in a mini-skillet with cornbread, but on a plate with a bland corn pancake). I really hope they change it back or sexy-up the new preparation, as that was one of our main draws.

For another SW location, I’m a little surprised at their Dallas picks. We ate at Kenichi (sushi chain near the new-ish W Hotel) earlier this year. The bar staff hadn't finished their prep work an hour after opening and we were virtually ignored even though we'd dropped a lot of cash there in short order on premium sake and some starters. We finished dinner elsewhere.

As for Abacus, if you are positioning yourself as a fine dining destination with $38-50 mains (proof that we Boulder and Denver residents shouldn't really complain about $25 entrees at some of our top tables), I’d better come away with at least a smile on my face. As an aside, here's an exchange that came up while eating the "lobster shooters" mentioned in the CITY blurb (breaded balls filled with lobster served in shot glasses with coconut-chile sake):

Me (attempting to offer helpful comments to Mr. rlm, who was ending up with a mouthful of sake sans the lobster bits that were refusing to budge from the glasses): You’ve got to throw back your head so you can get the balls in your mouth.

Mr. rlm: Well, you have practice with that and I don’t!

• 1 month later...

Frasca appears in a couple of episodes on Mark Bittman's PBS series "The Best Recipes in the World," although the Rocky Mountain PBS descriptions refer to Frasca in the "Never Basta Pasta" episode as "Fresca" and in "Pure Porcine Pleasures II" (?!) as "Restaurant Frasca" rather than Frasca Food and Wine.

• 3 weeks later...

I TiVo-ed this a while back and never watched it until a bout of insomnia early Friday morning, but in case you missed it, Frank Bonanno of Mizuna/Luca won the Food Network Challenge in the mac-and-cheese cook-off, beating out Oprah's favorite Delilah and three other chefs.

In my opinion, he also won the battle of the local chefs (as well as beating out Tim "Lose the Hat, Cowboy" Love from DFW) at the James Beard Foundation's Taste America dinner at Panzano on Sep. 28th with his Heirloom Butternut Squash Soup with Foie Gras Mousse and Spiced Pumpkin Bread Crostini.