Sign in to follow this  
Suzi Edwards

Japanese

Sorry, am being kind of lazy and have not searched the site for all Japanese recommendations, but I was wondering if anyone can recommend a Japanese place for tonight? I'm most interested in sushi, but some cooked dishes may also be nice.

Has anyone been to Michiachi yet?

how about Tatsuso? or there is always Sushi Say in Willesden Green, it is very good but would require a trip to NW2 which is probably quite unappealing to most.

Has anyone been to Michiachi yet?

Suzi, PM Jon Tseng, he has been and from what I remember I don't think it was that great.

I've been lazy, when I first moved to London three years ago I think I hit just about every Japanese restaurant I heard of in my quest to satisfy my Japanese food needs. But only two really stuck with me and I hardly ever go anywhere else now - Sushi Hiro and Matsuri High Holborn. Sushi Hiro is the better of the two but unfortunately they are out by Ealing, is that close to you? They also do nothing but sushi, but its the best I've had in London. And its inexpensive.

Matsuri High Holborn has unfortunately been going downhill in the excellence in their cooked food (although I keep hoping they'll start improving again) but their sushi is decent, the closest I can get to satisfy my craving in central London. This is not to say the food is bad, its still good, just not as good as it was. Their Kushiage is very good, the place can get expensive though.

Chris likes Cafe Japan up near Golders Green, I'd rank it behind Matsuri though.

Let us know where you go and what you think of it! I'm always hoping for someone to find a great Japanese restaurant in London!

Kikuchi?

Yes, I forgot about that one. Its good, Izakaya style food -kind of like... what's the one on Tottenham court road downstairs? Is it called Ikkyu?

Not in the same category as a Sushi Hiro or Matsuri, this is sort of Japanese pub style dining. Both are worth going to when you are craving Japanese food and want variety, but I can't think of anything that really shines. Of course, I haven't been back to Ikkyu in over a year.