Sign in to follow this  
Rose

"Appetizing"

And get the Holland herring with onions--they're on the sweet side, as if they'd been marinated in the same brine as the herring.

I considered this a good warmup for my upcoming Scandinavian trip.

I think I may get some today, and make an apple and walnut salad to serve on the side. :o

The smorgasbord at Stockholm's Grand Hotel is where I learned to love herring.

The smorgasbord at Stockholm's Grand Hotel is where I learned to love herring.

Ooh, just looked that up at the hotel's Web site and it looks wonderful. It's almost $50 but that may need to be my one food splurge.

The Holland herring were very pleasing; great texture. I still rather like the sweeter matjes cure, though. Also picked up some kippered white King salmon. :o

The Holland Herring was incredible. I thought....I love herring but how different could this be?

Wrong. It was more like sushi than typical appetizing herring.....buttery, less salty, creamy texture. I kept thinking toro.

I had some of this for breakfast this morning. Mama mia, it has been waay too long since my last bit o' herring.

Great in scrambled eggs for breakfast.

And with lots of buttered whole grain toast.

Just tried some chopped liver from Barney Greengrass. What a revelation! I never knew chicken livers could be elevated to such gustatory heights. Smooth, mild livery flavor, with great savory masses of perfectly caramelised onions. Heavenly.

I'm sure there was at least one long argument discussion about what constitutes "appetizing" as a noun and what to call the stores that sell it, but this was the easiest thread to find.

They have added an “appetizing” section, the New York term for Jewish Eastern European specialties like smoked and cured fish,

from a NY Times piece about Bedford Cheese Shop's expansion.

Their pricing reminds me of that now shuttered wine shop in GCT. (Grand Harvest?)

Yeh, i mean, i wish them the best but, my few times in williamsburg, the place has been completely empty on a busy street and my experience at Irving has been the same.. these are not cheap rents. But there is nothing ground breaking about announcing prepared foods is the future.. Or that very few, if any places can survive on selling retail cheese alone..