Sign in to follow this  
Ron Johnson

Veal Flank

Flank steak is taken from the flank area and is a single muscle. It is used to make London broil in the US?

Ok, to further muddy the waters, it now appears that "London Broil" in the U.S. is actually a cut from the round roast, not sure if it is top or bottom round. Flank steak is from the lower belly area of the cow.

Flank steak is taken from the flank area and is a single muscle. It is used to make London broil in the US?

Ok, to further muddy the waters, it now appears that "London Broil" in the U.S. is actually a cut from the round roast, not sure if it is top or bottom round. Flank steak is from the lower belly area of the cow.

The local Associateed sometimes offers something called "Shoulder London Broil". I am used to thinking of flank steak, with the long grain, as London Broil.

Usually top. Not really proper as for years a "proper" London broil was a beef flank steak.

Muddy 'em further: "Oyster Cut"--across the top round. Just about from the middle of the beast. My NAMP guide is in my desk at work.

"London Broil" from the chuck is a supermarket 'market term'. Probably used to push inexpensive cuts of meat. I don't know why we lust for "tender" meat. I like a bit of chew and so much beef naturally lends itself to flavorful types pf braises and pot roasts.