• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cooking tips welcome. Especially ways to fry them with a really crispy coating.

Depends on the size and quality, but I'd be really worried about $2.50. I imagine $8.90 at Eataly means their wholesale is around half that, which makes sense. 

You can eat them for a while after they've been cleaned but they rapidly become less nice.

David Rosengarten suggests placing a weight on them as they cook, i.e. a heavy pan, with a couple of cans in it. He was addressing the problem of excess liquid in the crabs, but I think his solution to that problem may also help achieve the crispiness you are looking for.

Alternatively, deep-fry rather than saute.

Soft shell crabs are available in season at all good fish stores in NYC, as well as in Chinatown.

At a birthday dinner for one of our members last night at Cantoon Garden, in Chinatown, a group of MF-ers had some excellent, deep-fried specimens.

Mmmm...soft shell crabs. I like them lightly floured and simply “deep-sautéed” in clarified butter. I think clarified butter is key; you can get it hotter than non-clarified without burning, which allows for a crispier crab. Finish with chopped shallots, capers and lemon juice.

Last night's dinner was what made me think of it (waiting for someone to post the menu of that meal so we can discuss it). Thanks for the weight tip - mushiness has been the problem in the past. I will buy from Chinatown if convenient, or pay slightly more at Wild Edibles in Grand Central.

I have to confess, before last night's crabs at Cantoon Garden, I had a salt-baked crab at NY Noodletown. I'm not sure if they were fried last year when I had them, but yesterday's were definitely mushy, with a muddy flavor. I want to go back during dinnertime & see if I can get them another way, because I remember liking them much more.

Cantoon Garden's crabs were indeed battered. A teensy bit too heavily, for my taste. They were perfectly crunchy, though, and were really meaty. They sieze up in the fryer, though, Steven. I prefer pan-frying with a weight to prevent that from happening.

I am already planning to make the most of my baseball widowhood tomorrow night by coating some soft-shell crabs in Wondra, sauteing them, weighted down, in clarified butter, and devouring them while still sizzling.