• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm bringing threee different slaws for our vote: Alton Brown's Creamy Cole Slaw, Sara Moulton's Texas Yellow "Cold" Slaw, and the FoodNetwork's Kitchens' [iIRC] Oil and Vinegar Slaw. And, if it doesn't fall apart, a rough apple tart. I guess if it falls apart, it will be a rough-er tart....

May youall have a happy time! I shall think off you partyin' down with a teensy sniffle. Have been intensely homesick of late.

Lady Jaymes, before you dance on the table, make sure you roll up the papers. All those cobs and shells get slippery! :(

Lady Jaymes, before you dance on the table, make sure you roll up the papers. All those cobs and shells get slippery! :(

Unfortunately for me, I cain't make it this time.

Maybe I'll throw some cobs and shells on the floor though. And close my eyes and pretend.

well, there was Texas Thelma protesting against the flavored tequila by making it leap from the chilling room [freezer] onto the kitchen floor - fortunately the bottle was almost empty...

then there was the bounty of shrimp and sausage and corn and potatoes that NewYorkTexan laid on - with help from Foodie52's husband on determining just when the water was boiling enough - a mix of Zatarain's and Old Bay and whole onions seasoned the pot

and I had votes for two of the slaws, but not for the oil and vinegar one - too simple, I guess

NapaValleyPhil used some of that new grassy Sardinian olive oil for a deeeeliteful pasta salad, flavored with red and green peppers, fennel seed and oregano

Foodie 52 brought a mystery chocolate pie that none guessed consisted simply of 12 ounces of silken tofu and 12 ounces of double chocolate chips - yummy, as was TexasThelma's chocolate mousse, of which she would only share half, cuz she and Denny were heading off to some other party, that must have been boring since they dallied and dallied

I dazzled them with a from-scratch simple rustic apple tart - F52 accused me of using a store-bought crust, until she sampled it

We watched Fluffernutter and Marshmallow vie with Xander, Ingrid and Paul's toddler for use of the water bowl on the floor

And, of course, we all missed you, dear

well, there was Texas Thelma protesting against the flavored tequila by making it leap from the chilling room [freezer] onto the kitchen floor - fortunately the bottle was almost empty...

Heehee... You should try traveling cross country with her! :o

It's always exciting when TT's in the house.

:blink:

Uhh...we heard about you all traveling in an itty bitty automobile with a 6 foot aspidistra stretched out across the front and back seats and TT not having a bit of room for her to stretch out in .... and you insisted on driving, probably just so that YOU wouldn't have to sit cramped up next to a floral monster!

Yup.

Damn that was a lot of good food, Foodie52, you have to post the about that tofu chocolate cake, it was amazing.

I thought there was a big difference between the wild shrimp I got at Central market vs. the farm raised ones from Costco. The u15s from Costco were huge, but were not as flavorful or sweet as the smaller wild ones.

gallery_394_349_815062.jpg

I just have to say that I really enjoyed the shrimp boil on Saturday. I just wish that Rita was there so we could have picked on her. I believe she's in Alaska now. I wonder if she rubbing noses with any eskimoes?

But back to Saturday night. The food was great, the conversation was great and the people were great. A great combination.................and many thanks to our host and hostess!! They always provide a nice evening! When I grow up I want to be be just like NewYork Texan.

Yes, it was awesome. Y'alls house is gorgeous and I loved ol' Marshmallow and Fluffernutter. So cute.

The food was all good, and the company better!

In case anyone wanted to get their own bottle, the two liquors were "Lago Azul" tequila, found at Wiggy's on 6th street, and ""Just Desserts Creme Brulee" liquer, which I've seen at several places around town.

Thanks Phil, I miss you, too!

I'm getting terribly homesick for Texas and seeing as it's getting so hot (relatively speaking) here, my mantra of "it's 95 degrees in Austin, it's 95 degrees in Austin, it's 95 degrees in Austin" might not work through the end of August.

Alaska was FABULOUS! Jaymes--sorry I didn't get to the hotel to check out your future employment but I loved Juneau and wished we could spend more time there. We went on an absolutely outstanding whale watching tour with a company called Orca Enterprises (http://www.orcaenterprises.com/). We saw tons of humpbacks, a pair of orcas that we chased around (or vice versa), porpoises, and of course, salmon. The boat was comfortable, captain Larry was great, and the 2 young naturalists were enthusiastic and adorable. We also went to Skagway, Ketchikan, and Victoria. I would have liked more time in every place except Skagway which could definetly use a few more restaurants. We did manage to find a tiny little sandwich shop down an alley that served chiliquiles and hummus--looked just like an Austin joint!

The food on the ship was forgetable, but otherwise the trip was great.