Burgers in Jersey

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Star-Ledger's Munchmobile has set out for a new season. The Munch is a 9 pax van with a huge hot dog on the roof, which transports a crew of observers to many food locations, usually tied to a the

Reliably told to me that "Shake Shack" is coming to the Stacks location on Rt 17s

Well, technically, this is NJ.. After taking a lap around the Jersey Garden Mall and feeling pretty good about dropping a waist size, i figured I should do some damage to myself..   Burger King's A

• 2 weeks later...

Reliably told to me that "Shake Shack" is coming to the Stacks location on Rt 17s

Interesting. Very close to my office. Is that building small? Need/ability to expand?

Does Stacks have a liquor license? If not, I wonder what they are doing about obtaining one.

• 2 weeks later...

Rosie notes that Gaffer's in West Orange has closed.

That's a shame. I always enjoyed their burgers, and their 1950s era decor and dim bar in the old location. Food was equally good after they moved across the street, but the atmosphere just wasn't right.

Two good burger places (Pal's and Gaffer's) have closed recently, They are within a mile or two of each other.

• 2 years later...

Finally got myself to Burg and concluded with some reluctance that it is the best cheeseburger in Newark, certainly better than either Burger Walla or Krug's Tavern. Beef tasted, well, beefy, rich and juicy, reminding me of a steak I had earlier this month [not Lowlife's], and it wasn't overcooked. Respectable fries too, though I wish they offered Dijon mustard [the gentrification of downtown Newark only goes so far, it seems]. More than half a dozen beers on tap, of which I recognised only Allagash [i am not really a beer-drinker] and eight wines, including a few Europeans and a New York riesling.

The glasses are rather slender, even for Coca Cola. I guess that's where they make their profit.

I do miss Skipper's pub.

I haven't been able to coordinate my visits to Newark with open hours at Burg. But, I'd agree with Daniel you're on very slippery ground when you challenge Krug's burgers.

Your reports on other items confer considerable credibility, so I need to get over there soon.

As Paul and Daniel said -- those are some pretty big claims there, LOL. However, different likes/dislikes for different folks, and everyone's "best" could certainly be different.

That said, I've been to Walla -- and it is a very good burger. The entire place has a twist on the traditional, kind of like a burger place with an Indian influence or flair. It's a tasty burger -- I think short-rib, brisket and high quality beef -- which I had plain, and another with cheddar and bacon. Good flavor and taste. My friend's loved the lamb version of their burger. Would I rate the burger as better than Krug's? While it's a "different" style/type of burger, regardless, no, I would not rate it better than Krug's -- but that's just me.

I have several friends who've been to Burg and the reports are good -- "gourmet" burger were words that were used. One friend of mine -- a chef -- who loves burgers, and we have similar tastes -- he liked it very much. He said it was a very good, quality burger. A couple others didn't speak so highly, but said it was good. Doesn't matter -- everyone has their own likes, dislikes, etc. That being said, all of these friends rave about Krug's. What does this mean? Nothing, LOL. If a person likes/loves a place, that's great. Also, I'll decide if I like it of course when I finally go (which should be this week as I'll be in Newark and as long as the weather is nice, I'll look to enjoy a burger in Military Park). I think Krug's is widely accepted as a great burger and even if you don't like it, you can understand why it's on most people's favorite/best list, even though it might not be on your own.

Thanks for the heads up/post -- and I am looking forward to trying Burg. You can always use another great burger place! LOL.

Well, technically, this is NJ.. After taking a lap around the Jersey Garden Mall and feeling pretty good about dropping a waist size, i figured I should do some damage to myself..

Burger King's Angriest Whopper:

Not a bad copy:

26525253835_69482846d0.jpg

25922254283_736466b642.jpg

26525135785_24b98c3457.jpg

i don't remember the last time I had a Whopper.. It had to be in the last few years.. But, I had recently read a piece on Serious Eats perhaps where a guy wrote about his love of the Whopper.. I was going to get a whopper but, noticed the angriest whopper.

It's a monster of a sandwich.. It has heavy duty wrapping paper.. It had to weigh close to a pound.. It was a bacon cheese burger, covered in this sweet and sour/ bbq sauce mixture that was fairly spicy.. Topped with pickled jalapenos and fried onion rings, lettuce and a shit ton of mayo..

The bun itself is spicy.. Apparently, there is hot sauce baked into the bun.. I could actually taste the heat in the bun.. In fact, the whole burger is surprisingly spicy for a commercial product.. I recently tried the KFC Nashville Chicken and found it to be more oily than spicy.. Between the spicy bun, the sweet spicy bbq sauce and the pickled jalapenos it's probably the spiciest commercial thing I have eaten..

I ended up taking the top bun off because it was completely lost to Mayo.. The burger patty itself tasted like a whopper though, the flame broiled thing is pretty much bullshit as it was a grey lifeless patty that all the burger places serve up.. The sweet sauce was almost too much to take as it was just so cloying and sweet. the fried onions with the jalapeno were my favorite things.. The bacon is worthless, the sauce is just too damn sweet, the mayo was more like icing on a cake.

So in summation, I am never eating this thing again but, if people like Burger King and they like spicy food, I would say this is a home run..

• Like 1

Did you order the Whopper 'off the broiler'?

I always ask for no mayo when ordering fast food burgers. Sometimes no ketchup as well.

I've only done that trick a few times, and most BKs will only do it during slow hours.