Sign in to follow this  
omnivorette

Omnibrows a Paris...

First a quotation from a book called Paris Personal that was in our apartment...

"Evidently, all who love Paris are slightly bewitched. Once the spell is upon you, there is an ever-present desire to return. You are always conscious that the life of Paris can and will go on without you. The recognition hurts. As a result, you never want to forsake her for too long."

Okay, here's a list of restaurants we went to:

Le Dome (me and Eyebrows)

Bofinger (lunch; me and Eyebrows)

Le Meurice (lunch; Pim, fantasty, me and Eyebrows)

L'Entredgeu (Pim, fantasty, me and Eyebrows)

L'Os a Moelle (me and Eyebrows)

Monsieur Lapin (me and Eyebrows)

the Vietnamese pho joint (I'll find the name) (me and Eyebrows)

L'Etoile Kabyle (Pim, fantasty, me and Eyebrows)

Mon Vieil Ami (fantasty, S, me and Eyebrows)

not exactly restaurants:

L'As du Falafel

La Fromagerie 31

Also drank at:

Cave at L'Os a Moelle

Le Baton Bouge

La Verre Volee

the place across the st. from La Coupole

L'Echanson

Also ate a rotisserie chicken at the Bastille market immediately upon purchasing it.

Some of the food retailers visited:

Finkelstajn's

Fauchon

Pierre Herme

food court at Galleries Lafayette

Le Grand Epicerie (Bon Marche)

Aoki

Desnoyer

Mariage Freres

Berthillon

Poilane

La Fournee d'Augustine

the place across the st. from La Coupole

That was Le Select, what a lovely lovely day it was. :o

And perhaps the most fun meal of the week: at our apartment, with Pim, Maurice, fantasty, and me and Eyebrows. How the time flew!

It was a joint effort. We had:

A selection of charcuterie, including excellent rillettes and an oxtail terrine, among other things, with whole radishes

Sauteed green onions in olive oil with salt

Sauteed mushrooms with young garlic

Green salad with sliced radishes

Roasted poulet de bresse with potatoes and whole shallots

Bread, of course

Cheeses

And a large Ispahan from Pierre Herme, in the shape of a heart (which they were doing for Fete des Mamans, which was this past weekend).

Pim brought a very interesting wine - a 2004 Macon-Peronne Reserve, Domaine de la Condemine, Veronique et Pierre Janny. A late harvest white. Made for a lovely aperitif. I can't remember what the red was that Maurice brought...

Please, when you get a chance, post about your meal at Le Meurice.

Yay! You're here! (Take a look at the chicken thread in "in the kitchen" please...)

just did :o

And perhaps the most fun meal of the week: at our apartment, with Pim, Maurice, fantasty, and me and Eyebrows. How the time flew!

It was a joint effort. We had:

A selection of charcuterie, including excellent rillettes and an oxtail terrine, among other things, with whole radishes

Sauteed green onions in olive oil with salt

Sauteed mushrooms with young garlic

Green salad with sliced radishes

Roasted poulet de bresse with potatoes and whole shallots

Bread, of course

Cheeses

And a large Ispahan from Pierre Herme, in the shape of a heart (which they were doing for Fete des Mamans, which was this past weekend).

Pim brought a very interesting wine - a 2004 Macon-Peronne Reserve, Domaine de la Condemine, Veronique et Pierre Janny. A late harvest white. Made for a lovely aperitif. I can't remember what the red was that Maurice brought...

That was certainly fun, lovely hosts, lovely guests (no no not just talking about me :o ), yummie food and intriguing conversation (even with the detour to morbid land).

Eyebrow was at first worried that the scrawny little chicken that Omni would eat all by herself at home would feed all of us, but we ended up with chicken bits to take home!

That Macon was certainly interesting, being not only white but also late harvest, so it was a little off dry and perfect as aperitif for that warm night. Maurice brought a Gevry-Chambertin, I remember it was 2000, but no idea the producer.

Okay, I'll start. I hope Pim will chime in - and she took a lot of photos, which I hope will get on her blog soon. fantasty is still traveling, but I'm sure she'll chime in when she can.

Le Meurice - lunch

First of all the room is drop dead gorgeous. Ornate without being oppressive, sunfilled at lunch, beautifully spaced. We all kept noticing details as we sat there. At first I was looking at the tassles on the window curtains, and then noticed that they matched the fringes on the curtains themselves. Pim noticed that some of the lamps looked like perfume bottles (I said Annick Goutal, she said...I can't remember). The gilt faces around the top perimeter of the room were wonderful.

Yannick Alleno, the handsome young chef, came to our table. He was charming and engaging and a delight. Clearly working very hard and enjoying it.

We each had the 75euro tasting menu. I had Oeuf de Poule: Le blanc en fine royale d'oignons doux; Le jaune tiedi aux petits pois et aux girolled. This was a terrific dish. Salty and sweet, with a combination of textures that was a pleasure in the mouth. And it looked so wonderful - deep golden yolk surrounded by all of these little pieces...

More to come...

Eyebrows had the Risetto Cuisine Comme Une Paella: Fondue de fins coquillages au basilic. I really liked it. It was like a very refined paella, subtle flavors yet each ingredient distinct, and very pretty.

By the way...there are codes next to some dishes, indicating whether something is "poissons sauvages," "coquillages sauvages," or "crustaces sauvage"

Then for my main course I split with fantasty, a dish for two: Epaule d'agneau de Lais des Pyrenees Rotie a la Broche: Grenailles de Noirmoutier a l'ail doux, pousses de salade en vinaigrette. This was the most succulent lamb I have ever had. We were just thrilled with it. And the skin - thick, crispy on the outside, full of flavor, so juice throughout. And the little potatoes were marvelous.

Eyebrows main course was the one not so great note on the table, in my opinion. He had Dos de Saumon Rote a L'Oseille: Feves et grenailled de Noirmoutier en fricasee. Mind you, nothing wrong with this dish, but it was just not all that special or interesting. The ingredients themselves were excellent, but it was really just a piece of salmon with some potatoes and fava beans. There was a delicous foam served with it, which I can't recall exactly now- maybe Pim will find out what it was at some point.

Thanks!!!

It's the amuse that's in that martini glass. Pea mousse on the bottom, next was a layer of I think cucumber water gelee with seafood suspended in it, and topped with I can't remember on the top layer. We were moaning with pleasure eating this thing.

Paris has so many shoes stores per capita it's frightening. Not that that stopped me from buying two pairs, mind you.

Also good cigarillos everywhere, which I smoked quite a lot of.

The gelato chain Amorino serves mediocre gelato. I liked Berthillon once I actually went to Berthillon - the resellers of it, which are everywhere, don't necessarily serve it fresh or at a good temperature.

I bought pletzl boards and jellied calves feet at Finkelstajn's. Made me very happy.

I didn't much like the truffles at Aoki.

Christine Ferber jams are availalbe at Galleries Lafayette, and even cheaper at Le Grand Epicerie. But the proprietary flavors that she makes for Pierre Herme are only available at Pierre Herme. I am loving the mirabelles one.

The fruits de mer at Bofinger (owned by Flo) were better and fresher than at Le Dome (not owned by Flo). But the stuff at Le Dome was still pretty darn good.

I rode the carousel in the Tuileries.

There is a stunning mens shop called Arnys near Bon Marche...stopped us dead in our tracks. I went back the next day without Eyebrows and bought him a tie there...gorgeous.

There was a boucherie chevaline at the Bastille Market but it was our first day and I didn't want to shlep meat all day...and I was sorry later because we never saw another boucherie chevaline the whole week.

I love pate de tete.

Fauchon. Feh. Although here in NYC I do buy the macarons and will continue to do so.

I am chomping at the bit waiting to go to the greenmarket tomorrow morning.

I need to learn (and practice) cooking fish, more and better.

I need to buy some Chinon - any specific suggestions?

Pierre Herme - what can I say that hasn't been said already? Not much. But I did go 3 times.

Pierre Herme - what can I say that hasn't been said already? Not much. But I did go 3 times.

Was there a line down the street, or has the hoopla died down some?