I've been playing with my weekly dose of two to three pounds of fresh masa. Of course the tortillas are grand but the machine-made (from the same masa) are so good I don't feel compelled to make them, especially when a lot are needed.

But I have pressed them out on my tortilla press, put a little filling in half the circle made little pies out of them. the I deep fry them in corn oil *(which I think is essential.) There's something so glorious and fabulous about fried masa that I almost might over indulge just one time if I don't control myself. Oops. Too late.

Fillings:

Cheeese (obviously)

Beans (the beans are so creamy and divine, no chees is needed. I guess this makes it healthy, right?)

Guacamole (bad- should be fresh on top of a finished one)

Meat (Works for me! Had some ground lamb I sauteed with onion/garlic, then topped the finished pie off with guacamole)

All need to be topped with good salsa and eaten within minutes.

Do these little treats have a name?

I've also been playing with enchiladas and enfrijoladas and the frying off the tortilla is key. I have tried all sorts of tricks to avoid the frying (a quick bath in hot broth for example) but I think the frying is key.

*I used to be a canola person but I like corn oil. What tends to be used in Mexican homes?

• Like 11
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been playing with my weekly dose of two to three pounds of fresh masa. Of course the tortillas are grand but the machine-made (from the same masa) are so good I don't feel compelled to make them,

Here's a very old N/A use...you portion the masa about a little bigger than you'd like a tamale to be. Mix whatever spices into the masa you want the food to favor, make into sort of fat logs, rub the

Quesadillas in Colonial Condesa, Mexico City - with Huitlacoche.   I've made some since then myself but haven't photographed them, as I ate them too quickly.

Here in Guadalajara, those savory fried masa thingies are called empanadas. My particular favorites are filled with a simple picadillo made of carne deshebrada, small-diced potatoes and carrots. Once they're fried, they're topped with a light salsa verde muy picante, shredded lettuce, and crumbled queso cotija.

Oh god, now I have to have some. Six would be good--for a start.

And even without the cheese they would probably be considered a quesadilla -- or empenada, depending on where and who.

So are you griddling them on a comal at all before frying? If you don't and fry them at a high enough temperature you can get them to puff up like the puffy tacos of San Antonio.

Personally, I think lard is the essential fat, but I'm a piggist.

My two favorite cheeses for this purpose are quesillo and requeson. My favorite combination is quesillo and flor de calabaza. Although the chopped up chicharron (you know, where they have those big blocks of pressed chicharron and chop it up into little bacon bit looking shreds -- what's the name of it?) with beans is damned fine.

I prefer a chile de arbol salsa for that sort of thing.

• 2 weeks later...
You're going to start selling these at the Ferry Building, right? :o

~A

Looking for a job?

Not quite as indulgent, but on Thursday nights and Sunday days Prather Ranch has Buffalo tacos, using my tortillas and my Rancho Relish. I'll see if they can get a deep fryer!

You're going to start selling these at the Ferry Building, right? :o

~A

Looking for a job?

I hear the pay is beans. :o

Not quite as indulgent, but on Thursday nights and Sunday days Prather Ranch has Buffalo tacos, using my tortillas and my Rancho Relish. I'll see if they can get a deep fryer!

Hmm, now I have a good excuse to go down there tonight. Not that I needed one, mind you.

Oh my ... Memory Lane! At a little place called Mexcaltitlan in Santiago Ixcuintle, Nayarit - painted after-dinner mint green, with a ceiling treatment of petates, nailed to the roof trusses with beer bottle caps for decoration, I had a whole roast snapper (pescado sarandeado) and an appetizer of quesadillas de camaron.

The senora sauteed shrimp with garlic and a bit of onion chile morita (roasted, soaked, and chopped) and tomate verde. But the real kicker was the masa: she put toasted. ground up dried shrimp in it. Pressed out 'tortillas' on the press, filled them with the cooked shrimp, folded them in half and fried them. They were intensely shrimpy and wonderful.

Drool ...

Theabroma