Big Papa's BBQ is a joint in a shopping center on Evans that Colestove recommended. It was seconded by a couple of BBQ afficionados we sat next to at the bar @ Frasca. (I thought we had a thread on it, but it must've been on that other board.)

I had a chance to check it out recently and must say that it's the best 'cue I've had in Colorado. As a point of reference, some of the other places I've tried are Brothers, K.T.'s, Bennett's, M&D's, Bono's.

I had the baby back ribs and requested cups of all 4 sauces to sample (Suzie's Carolina, a mustard-based sauce; Maureen's Memphis, tomato-based with pepper & brown sugar; Heidi's KC, tomato-based with molasses; and Maggie's Deep South). I surprisingly preferred Suzie's Carolina sauce, with the Memphis running a close second, but I liked ALL of them (which almost never happens). The hush puppies were hot and crispy and fun to dunk in the various sauces. The sweet potato casserole should be a dessert item! It's really just mashed sweet potatoes and not what you might imagine in a typical casserole. All of this fun came with SWEET TEA (yeah, baby!). Transported me back to sitting on a porch swing in the summer sipping my mom's finest Southern Diabetic-Inducing Brew.

I noticed there's another BBQ place a bit further down the road called Chapter One. Anyone tried this?

Exactly where is this? How long/far a drive from Boulder County?

Big Papa's is at Evans and Monaco, so it's a nice drive. In the HAR/Denver Dumb Friends League area.

Sheehan reviewed it a bit ago. Next time I'm down there, I'll have to try it. That'll be a while though. Luckily, I still have Daddy Bruce's here in Boulder.

I also visited Big Papa's on colestove's recommendation. The pulled pork was absolutely magnificent on the night I went. We sampled brisket, pulled pork, baby backs and st louis style ribs, as well as all 4 sauces, the potato salad, beans and mac & cheese. My wife accused me of getting carried away when I showed up at home with this in tow. Go figure. I liked all 4 sauces as well, I found myself going back to the deep south sauce more often than the others. The other meats were just a bit dry, at least in comparison to the pulled pork which was moist, tender, smoky and covered with a rich black crust that was deeply satisfying.

The beans were pretty good, the other sides average at best.

The 2 guys behind the counter doing motown routines were an extra bonus.

Brothers BBQ was my local favorite until Big Papa's, but I fear they have been tossed aside.

We did have a thread on the other board because I posted my disappointment at M&D's Cafe (and I believe extolled the virtues of Brothers). I have a few friends that sample BBQ from all over the Denver metro and will get some more recommendations.

I have to say that it is nice to have my opinion confirmed by the critical (in a good sense) tastbuds of Robin and Fred. I have enjoyed Big Pappas on several occasions and told quite a few people about it and so far no one has said I gave them bad advice. I agree with Fred in that I think the pulled pork is the best thing they do. My wife likes the St Louis style ribs a lot. I also like the brisket,but think from a cooking standpoint it is a much more difficult item to get spot on.

Glad you both liked the place and I'm looking ahead to going back after I get back from Phoenix.

colestove

• 4 weeks later...

Recently enjoyed the pulled pork at Big Papa's. Didn't eat the bun though (just dipped the meat into the sauce with my fork).

In the interests of scientific research, I stopped afterwards at Chapter One BBQ a couple of blocks down the road (where Evans turns into Iliff) so I could sample their BBQ pork sandwich. No question that Big Papa's is the winner.

It was crazy-hot inside Chapter One. No A/C, so they had the doors flung open and were using plastic bags filled with water attached to the door hinges to weight them down and keep them open. Really odd. No bluesy music playing like at Big Papa's. Just a TV with rabbit-ears in an ugly cabinet tuned to Family Feud on UPN. I enviously eyed the people walking into the bustling taqueria/panaderia across the parking lot.

The people seemed nice, including the burly fellow that was tending to the smoker outside, so I felt guilty for leaving 3/4 of my sandwich. It just wasn't that good. I waited a long time for it in the heat, sipping some off-tasting "sweet" tea. The pork arrived on a hamburger bun with sesame seeds accompanied by onions, pickles, tomato, and lettuce. There are two sauces--regular and spicy (I had the spicy). Ehhh. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't satisfying. I took a couple of bites and didn't want any more.

Good to hear about the BBQ-

I'm keeping my eyes opened for a new BBQ joint in.... Longmont. Pete- owner and head chef of Tortuga's (and brother ot Tim of Tim's Thai) is opening a BBQ place, after complaining for years that he can't find any in his area.

I'll keep you apprised.

It's a trek, especially for you boulderites, but Chuck's Bunkhouse Barbecue in Strasburg is amazing. A couple of years ago, when I was writing the Colorado section of Sunset's "Best BBQ in the West" feature, I tried over 20 different bbq joints, from Durango to Strasburg, and Chuck's was hands-down my favorite. It's Texas-style BBQ, the sauces are brilliant, and the sides (oh god...the sides) are flat out fabulous, especially the garlic chorizo stuffing and the cheesy ranch potatoes. They also make a kick-ass no bean chili, and, yes, they have sweet tea.

1352 N.Monroe St. (between I-70 and the railroad tracks)

303-622-6814

LM

Coming from the person who has driven two hours for Thai food and even more to sip wine in Napa on a whim when I was sans plane tix, I think I could do Strasburg for 'cue. Once I figure out where the hell Strasburg is, that is.

Have you ever been to the True Grit Cafe in Ridgway? My sister is really into John Wayne (yes, we are opposites) and wants to go there, but I have not heard anything about the place.

Once I figure out where the hell Strasburg is, that is.

Go on I-70 east from Denver until you hit it. It's the next town over from Bennett.

But, if you like atmosphere, take Colfax. You have to be kinda careful around 470 and around Tower Rd. where Colfax gets "cut" by highways, but you can take Colfax straight out to Strasburg which is it's end (right around the BBQ place). Start from Golden and you can drive all 40 miles of Colfax, one of the longest streets in America. I did it once just for fun. It's a long drive and slower than I-70, but it's a part of Denver lore.

Have you ever been to the True Grit Cafe in Ridgway? My sister is really into John Wayne (yes, we are opposites) and wants to go there, but I have not heard anything about the place.

I lived in Telluride for a bit, and indeed have been to the True Grit Cafe. Unfortunately, I remember only the plethora of memorabilia, and have little recollection of the food. It's very steak and burgery. Reminds me of the kinds of places I used to go to as a kid on vacation for some reason (pre-chain restaurant infestation).

My sister is really into John Wayne (yes, we are opposites) and wants to go there, but I have not heard anything about the place.

Last I heard, it had closed. Apparently there weren't enough locals and/or tourists to support it. There has been talk of re-opening it, but so far as I know, that hasn't happened.

LM

Last I heard, it had closed. Apparently there weren't enough locals and/or tourists to support it. There has been talk of re-opening it, but so far as I know, that hasn't happened.

Uh-oh. She is going to be so disappointed, and she'll be here in 2 weeks. We were going to stop on the way to Durango. I "googled" it after reading your post and the cafe still has a functional web site, but I tried to call the phone# and it has been disconnected.

Is there any other hick crap in Colorado to appease a John Wayne fan? :( (Other than something like the Greeley Stampede...You are not getting me anywhere near that.)