• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Corby Kummer looks at some of the newest cookbooks released in time for summer.   Cooking

That looks like a good one. Anything in particular?   Now that I'm on Amazon, how is possible my book, yet to be published, has a rank of #13,013 and this one is at 222,651? I'm just asking!

and YES! to NY. Hide the good silverware. And sales have slipped to #35,447.

The Art of Fermentation sounds interesting so went ahead and preordered it.

Inspiring, but not confidence inspiring - I'm still as afraid of making pickles like my grandmother used to do (cucumber, salt, water, mustard seeds, sun) after reading the relevant portions... feels like trying to use it for practical purposes would be like using Escoffier or Larousse before knowing how to cook French food.

Oh, and maybe he should have skipped the bit about fermenting urine.

• 1 month later...

Truly Mexican, by Roberto Santibanez, (chef-owner of Fonda) presents Mexican cuisine in a way that I need to learn about a topic --- from the general to the particular, in contrast to Diana Kennedy, who offers lots of recipes -- and conversation -- but whose books have not allowed me to get a real grasp of the cuisine. The Santibanez book focuses on a few techniques, like the proper way to toast dried chilis, and has recipes for a wide variety of sauces and marinades that can then be used as the cook sees fit. It's neither totally traditional nor totally innovatiVE, but it is creative, within the recognizable structure of the cuisine. The photos are gorgeous.

The Art of Fermentation sounds interesting so went ahead and preordered it.

Inspiring, but not confidence inspiring - I'm still as afraid of making pickles like my grandmother used to do (cucumber, salt, water, mustard seeds, sun) after reading the relevant portions... feels like trying to use it for practical purposes would be like using Escoffier or Larousse before knowing how to cook French food.

Oh, and maybe he should have skipped the bit about fermenting urine.

you don't love vitamin pee?

I have yet to even open it but, we love all about braising. I am normally the person who does all of the roasting and cooking with large cuts of beef. I am excited for Miss A to get into this.

• 1 month later...

I picked up Alain Passard's The Art of Cooking with Vegetables for $7 at a bargain table. Will this actually give me a taste of L'Arpege? There are no photographs, only abstract collages (created by Passard, himself) and some of the recipes are a bit vague -- one calls for a "bowl" of blackberries, for example, but the flavor combinations are interesting and sometimes startling.

Truly Mexican, by Roberto Santibanez, (chef-owner of Fonda) presents Mexican cuisine in a way that I need to learn about a topic --- from the general to the particular, in contrast to Diana Kennedy, who offers lots of recipes -- and conversation -- but whose books have not allowed me to get a real grasp of the cuisine. The Santibanez book focuses on a few techniques, like the proper way to toast dried chilis, and has recipes for a wide variety of sauces and marinades that can then be used as the cook sees fit. It's neither totally traditional nor totally innovation, but it is creative, within the recognizable structure of the cuisine. The photos are gorgeous.

Thanks... I picked this up after your mention. Great book. Helps if you have a Vitamix, but I've made some great salsas, adobos, etc. Made the beans / avocado leaf recipe a couple weeks ago... a winner.

As for the Passard book, nice score. Not really a taste of L'Arpege--since you're probably shopping at Union Square or the equivalent--but more of a worthwhile glimpse. And some great ideas.

Truly Mexican, by Roberto Santibanez, (chef-owner of Fonda) presents Mexican cuisine in a way that I need to learn about a topic --- from the general to the particular, in contrast to Diana Kennedy, who offers lots of recipes -- and conversation -- but whose books have not allowed me to get a real grasp of the cuisine. The Santibanez book focuses on a few techniques, like the proper way to toast dried chilis, and has recipes for a wide variety of sauces and marinades that can then be used as the cook sees fit. It's neither totally traditional nor totally innovative, but it is creative, within the recognizable structure of the cuisine. The photos are gorgeous.

Thanks... I picked this up after your mention. Great book. Helps if you have a Vitamix, but I've made some great salsas, adobos, etc. Made the beans / avocado leaf recipe a couple weeks ago... a winner.

As for the Passard book, nice score. Not really a taste of L'Arpege--since you're probably shopping at Union Square or the equivalent--but more of a worthwhile glimpse. And some great ideas.

I made the beets with blackberry and lavender yesterday, and even though I forgot the lavender flowers and the foamed milk didn't work, it was spectacularly delicious. I am eager to get to L'Arpege one of these years.

• 3 weeks later...

Shameless shilling:

Come In, We're Closed will be out soon, late September or early October. It's a cookbook of staff meals at twenty-five world-class restaurants, including many favorites here -- Cochon, Uchi, Au Pied de Cochon, Frasca, Arzak, Mugaritz, Ad Hoc, among others.

Disclosure: I helped the authors tighten up the manuscript, and used to work with one when she was at Art Culinaire. But I get nothing besides satisfaction from the book's success.

• 5 months later...