• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a huge pizza fan but I love the cracker crisp crust at The Red Grape just off the square in Sonoma.

My friend-from-nursery-school John Franchetti's Rosso in Santa Rosa gets raves from everyone else in my house and I love their piadini (spelling?)

Guest Aaron T

Made it to Flour + Water on wednesday night with 2 colleagues. [disclosure: one of my colleagues is dating one of the chefs] We split two pizzas and a chicken entree. The first pizza was a margherita and it was excellent. Flavorful sauce, a nice amount of cheese, thin crust (not too droopy). If it had had a few more pieces of basil it would have been perfecto. next pizza was artichoke and onions. We added a fried egg to this pie as well (+$2). The nice runny egg added to the artichoke and onion flavors. This crust was crisper than the other, but also quite good.

The chicken that came was spiced well - it had some red pepper on it (visible) and so had a little kick that I wasn't expecting when we ordered it, but was glad to have. I'm glad there were no spice-phobes at my table.

the kitchen sent out (comped) three desserts. One was a chocolate budino with sea salt, one was a strawberry one and the olive oil cornmeal cake with gelato. The cornmeal cake was my fave. I thought the chocolate budino was too intensely flavored, but the others loved it.

We had a nice light Italian white wine, that was about $26 for the bottle.

the place is popular as it is new. They began taking reservations yesterday.

Location is Harrison @ 20th.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to what my friend called Triple Crown (the sign painted on the outside of the building reads Octavia Lounge though) on Market and Octavia last night for their Thursday happy hour $5 pizza special, normally $10. Thin, crispy crust, nice balance of cheese, sauce and topping (pepperoni). It was good; much better for $5 than $10. I don't know if they make them smaller for the happy hour. If not then $10 would be reasonable, but not a bargain. Thin crust Thursdays.

Went to what my friend called Triple Crown (the sign painted on the outside of the building reads Octavia Lounge though) on Market and Octavia last night for their Thursday happy hour $5 pizza special, normally $10. Thin, crispy crust, nice balance of cheese, sauce and topping (pepperoni). It was good; much better for $5 than $10. I don't know if they make them smaller for the happy hour. If not then $10 would be reasonable, but not a bargain. Thin crust Thursdays.

Oh that place. Across Market from Martuni's, right? Used to be Carta before it was Octavia Lounge. Can't remember what it was before that. Had no idea they were doing pizza now.

ETA: Five bucks for a whole pie?

Oh that place. Across Market from Martuni's, right? Used to be Carta before it was Octavia Lounge. Can't remember what it was before that. Had no idea they were doing pizza now.

ETA: Five bucks for a whole pie?

Ya, that place. They filmed some of the first season of Top Chef there. I know some of the guys who run it - it's more of a lounge/dj bar than a place to eat, although they do have Thin Crust Thursdays, Taco Tuesdays, etc. for happy hour.

I've had the pizza and while a good bar snack, it's somewhat of a stretch to call it really good pizza. It's almost a cracker crust from what I remember (I was there for happy hour and we just got some food). There tacos are also pretty good.

Arinell seems to have gone downhill. The last couple times I've had a slice from there the sauce was super watery and the crust just limp. It was the best street slice when I moved here but now I'm reluctant to ever go back.

For deep dish, Little Star is the best. It's not what I think of when I think of pizza, but their pies are really good. Great buttery crust that holds up to all the toppings. Someone had to try their thin crust and it was a mistake. Don't bother.

I haven't sampled all that much thin crust in the Bay Area, but I'd have to say Pizetta 211 has been my favorite. Delfina is a block away so I've had that the most and it's usually good. Chow also can produce a good pizza if you talk them through it.

I don't know why I've never been to Pauline's since it's so close and Bauer said some good things about it. Is it worth checking out?

Sorry to hear that about Arinell. Sure was good back in the day. Not sure why, but I haven't been to Pauline's in a long time, either. I guess maybe because I wasn't that impressed in my early visits.

I do like Little Star's deep dish. Pizetta 211 is a transportational nightmare for me, so I never go there. If anyone says Zachary's my head will explode.

I still think this thread should be merged with this one. I think I'll PM a mod.

Oh, you know who does a half-way decent job of American style pizza? Capri!

Sorry to hear that about Arinell. Sure was good back in the day. Not sure why, but I haven't been to Pauline's in a long time, either. I guess maybe because I wasn't that impressed in my early visits.

I do like Little Star's deep dish. Pizetta 211 is a transportational nightmare for me, so I never go there. If anyone says Zachary's my head will explode.

I still think this thread should be merged with this one. I think I'll PM a mod.

Oh, you know who does a half-way decent job of American style pizza? Capri!

What's wrong with Zachary's? jesus christ you guys are fucking finicky!

Next Th for $5 pizzas? We can try a bunch of them (I only had one slice of pepperoni, thought about the butternut squash). I might have a show at the Hemlock that night too.

• 2 months later...
Guest Aaron T

Made my second trip of the day to the east bay on Saturday for pizza at Pizzaiolo. The wait for a table at Gialina in Glen Park was an hour (according to the person who answered the phone) so we changed plans at the last minute and decided to travel a little farther for our repast.

The pizza at Pizzaiolo was just as good as I had remembered it. A thin crust, but one that doesn't droop. The margherita was excellent - enough sauce and cheese but not too much of either. Some salt to it as well. Not stingy with the basil either. The nettles and ricotta pizza was good too - more topping than I was expecting - but I preferred the margherita.

We also shared a Little Gem salad with Green Goddess dressing and pickled beets. Light and tasty.

We sat outside, which was wonderful on a warm evening, esp. with heat lamps. They have a bocce ball court set up and it was fun to watch people play while we devoured the pizza.

I prefer the outdoor seating as it is quieter and in general if I can sit outside, why would I ever eat indoors?

The waitress knew what went into the green goddess salad, which included herbs, savory, marjoram, avocado etc. and service was enjoyable. Water glasses were refilled etc.

I went to Gioia Pizzeria in north Berkeley a couple of weeks ago. NY style crust with CA flair, it was really good. I had two slices, sausage and mushroom. Both were good but the mushroom particularly stood out. It's near the Monterey Fish Market and Monterey Produce Company if you're into that sort of thing. Perhaps my favorite slice in the Bay Area so far.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest Aaron T

During a quick trip to SF managed to grab dinner at Gialina. We began with the Wild Arugula w/ beets, fennel, goat cheese & pistachios salad and a margherita pizza. The salad had both golden and red beets and was lightly dressed. The flavors melded nicely and it is a great way to begin a meal. The margherita pizza comes on a thin cracker-like crust and the tomato sauce had sufficient herbal flavor (too often tomato sauce on pizza is bland IMHO).

We then shared 3 pizzas:

Atomica- tomato sauce, mushrooms, mozzarella, chilies & red onions

Pesto w/ bull's blood greens, ricotta, black olives & ricotta salata (minus the olives and + a fried egg)

Portobello Mushroom w/ preserved lemon, ricotta, tarragon & pancetta (minus the pancetta)

We had a vegetarian in the group so all was veggie.

The pizzas were quite good - all crisp with a nice crust. The pesto was my favorite, the fried egg with the runny yolk added a nice textural and flavor component and the pesto itself was fresh tasting.

We got there at 530 and were seated immediately but it filled up.

As a party of 6, they put two 2-tops together sideways. Not sure why they wouldnt just give us 3 2-tops in a row but in this configutation they can fit more customers in a small space.

Service was friendly and the food was very good and the ambiance was pleasant. Glen park is a cute neighborhood.

I still prefer Pizzaiolo in Oakland as the best pizza in the Bay but Gialina is none too shabby.