Gov't Mule at Westville Bowl in New Haven. This band always brings it and did not disappoint Saturday night.  Best covers which they excel at were Whipping Post (with Oteil Burbridge) and I'd Rather Go Blind. Their crendition of I'd Rather Go Blind performed in New Orleans in 2015 remains one of the best song I've ever seen performed live. Hard to believe Warren Haynes is now 62 years old......

And great food planning. Went to Zuppardi's in West Haven for pizza before the show and intentionally over ordered and ate the cold leftovers on the drive home. 😁

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last week, Norah Jones at the Hammersmith Apollo. I know, I know, and I was not sure why I'd booked even before it started. I mean, I've never bought the new album. But as I'm sure I bored everyone wi

Going to see the Finn brothers in Central Park this evening. I assumed it would have sold out, but I got a message pushing half price tickets which I couldn't resist. Think it will piss down?  

Saw the Cowboy Junkies again last night, in an ice cold Beacon Theater. They had to wind up a ninety minute set at 11pm - union rules - which is a pity, as I think the audience would have loved anoth

Posted Images

UB40, the Wailers and one song from Maxi Priest at Summerstage in Central Park. I have never seen UB40 live, despite the fact that I practically wore out my copy of Labour of Love. The energy of the (enormous) crowd made this feel like a real event, and it was great to hear all those old songs, but the bands are obviously missing some members and that made a difference.

I also discovered that I can now dance as well as I could before my hip replacement, which is to say, not very well. (Cue joke about me asking my doctor if I'll be able to dance after surgery.)

90 minutes dancing (i.e. bouncing up and down) at the recent Hinds gig was the first time in years for me. No hip problem, but my back was certainly upset the next day.

I would not have guessed UB40 were still extant.

31 minutes ago, Wilfrid said:

I would not have guessed UB40 were still extant.

I've noticed them out of the corner of my eye over the years. And judging by the size and enthusiasm of the crowd, a lot of people have been paying at least some attention to them.

The John Pizzarelli Trio at Catalina's.  What a treat.  Skillful, witty and sophisticated.  Longest song was an extended version of "I Like New Jersey Best" featuring song improv takes on Paul Simon, James Taylor, Dylan, Bee Gees, Beach Boys, Billie Holiday/Audra McDonald/Madeleine Peyroux and Lou Reed.  Terrific.

26 minutes ago, bloviatrix said:

Anyone in NY going to the Jason Isbell show tomorrow night?

I would have gone but was able to see him last night in Bridgeport, CT which is so much closer to where I live plus free parking. 😁 Excellent show as always and the bonus was not one but two Drive By Truckers songs (Decoration Day and Never Gonna Change). Although I wish he didn't perform Elephant which may be the saddest song ever written. Kind of a downer after so many uptempo songs. 

Surprisingly the crowd was really light last night.....

3 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

Have been invited to a business soiree at which Trombone Shorty will be playing. Should get to see him at last.

I saw him in Prospect Park last summer, and he did a lot of originals and rock-y stuff. I have to say I prefer to see him perform more traditional (not Preservation Hall traditional, but older than last week) jazz stuff. I think he was 15 when I saw him for the first time.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, bloviatrix said:

I'm not really familiar with his oeuvre. But the spouse likes him and scored free tix.

He's great. And I'll say it: I think he is currently the best songwriter in America.  With a top notch band plus not being afraid to take social and political positions which are in conflict with Alabama and Tennessee (the two places he's lived) and write and sing about them, (Take the High Road, Living in a White Man's World, etc) he is one of my favorite artists on the planet. And one of the better Twitter follows to boot. 

2 hours ago, small h said:

I saw him in Prospect Park last summer, and he did a lot of originals and rock-y stuff. I have to say I prefer to see him perform more traditional (not Preservation Hall traditional, but older than last week) jazz stuff. I think he was 15 when I saw him for the first time.

Trombone Shorty's band Orleans Avenue is 75% rock band, 25% New Orleans R&B.