Silversun Pickups. Band I saw last night. More later.

Background.

Silversun Pickups is one of the LA bands I've been hearing about for quite a while but never getting around to seeing. So, last night I went to the benefit at the Echoplex. I had listened to the new CD Swoon, but I hadn't really heard it properly. It had sounded like 90s rock leaning heavily on Smashing Pumpkins, particularly Brian Aubert's raspy Corgan-like vocals (actually, as is apparent live and on tracks like "The Royal We" there is variety to his singing). Seeing the band live opened my ears. Their sound is fuller than I had heard on CD and brings together lots of influences from punk to 90s to grunge to metal. The one-two punch of "I See You Like To Work Alone" and "Panic Switch" is powerful. "Panic Switch" is sorta their "Teen Spirit" though they haven't gotten there yet. SSPU is a good band to experience live in that they play loud, fast but under control. Their lyrics are not complex and are frequently repeated. RIYL headbanging music.

As a bonus, the benefit was MC'd by none other than Shirley Manson. She sported a grownup, tailored look and was quite the proper concerned citizen raising money for a good cause. But I'll bet she can still rock out when she wants to.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last week, Norah Jones at the Hammersmith Apollo. I know, I know, and I was not sure why I'd booked even before it started. I mean, I've never bought the new album. But as I'm sure I bored everyone wi

Going to see the Finn brothers in Central Park this evening. I assumed it would have sold out, but I got a message pushing half price tickets which I couldn't resist. Think it will piss down?  

Saw the Cowboy Junkies again last night, in an ice cold Beacon Theater. They had to wind up a ninety minute set at 11pm - union rules - which is a pity, as I think the audience would have loved anoth

Posted Images

Background.

Silversun Pickups is one of the LA bands I've been hearing about for quite a while but never getting around to seeing. So, last night I went to the benefit at the Echoplex. I had listened to the new CD Swoon, but I hadn't really heard it properly. It had sounded like 90s rock leaning heavily on Smashing Pumpkins, particularly Brian Aubert's raspy Corgan-like vocals (actually, as is apparent live and on tracks like "The Royal We" there is variety to his singing). Seeing the band live opened my ears. Their sound is fuller than I had heard on CD and brings together lots of influences from punk to 90s to grunge to metal. The one-two punch of "I See You Work Alone" and "Panic Switch" is powerful. "Panic Switch" is sorta their "Teen Spirit" though they haven't gotten there yet. SSPU is a good band to experience live in that they play loud, fast but under control. Their lyrics are not complex and are frequently repeated. RIYL headbanging music.

As a bonus, the benefit was MC'd by none other than Shirley Manson. She sported a grownup, tailored look and was quite the proper concerned citizen raising money for a good cause. But I'll bet she can still rock out when she wants to.

My friend was at that show last night and said it rawked! I was checking out her photos on Flickr and was just about to ask her who MC'd because I knew she looked familiar but couldn't place her.

Background.

Silversun Pickups is one of the LA bands I've been hearing about for quite a while but never getting around to seeing. So, last night I went to the benefit at the Echoplex. I had listened to the new CD Swoon, but I hadn't really heard it properly. It had sounded like 90s rock leaning heavily on Smashing Pumpkins, particularly Brian Aubert's raspy Corgan-like vocals (actually, as is apparent live and on tracks like "The Royal We" there is variety to his singing). Seeing the band live opened my ears. Their sound is fuller than I had heard on CD and brings together lots of influences from punk to 90s to grunge to metal. The one-two punch of "I See You Like To Work Alone" and "Panic Switch" is powerful. "Panic Switch" is sorta their "Teen Spirit" though they haven't gotten there yet. SSPU is a good band to experience live in that they play loud, fast but under control. Their lyrics are not complex and are frequently repeated. RIYL headbanging music.

My friend was at that show last night and said it rawked!

SSPU seriously rocks. The opening band, the Eulogies, are competent but not what this crowd was looking for. Me either.

An SSPU review.

Then the calmness of the crowd quickly dissipated when SSPU sauntered on stage. Blasting the crowd with the distorted fuzz guitar and tumbling drums of their post-grunge sound, they unveiled many new cuts from "Swoon." Singer and firebrand guitarist Brian Aubert wafted his effervescent vocals across the room on “There’s No Secrets This Year,” crafting aural spaces for both shoe-gazers and rockers alike.

Went to a great show by Cloud Cult last night at First Avenue in Minneapolis with mongo and company. Lots of songs from Feel Good Ghosts and some crowd pleasers from previous albums. I really like their recordings but they are even more appealing as a concert band. With the fairly large band and the hippie painting going on in the back there is lots to look at, of course, but it's their sound that is the strength. The vocals are really clear and the strings really fill the space differently than the standard guitar/bass combination.

Ice Palace, a local band, was the first opener and were pretty solid. Interesting songs and a very good sound. I'll have to remember that when I check listings.

Maps and Atlasses, from Chicago, was the second opener and were not very appealing. I admit to being completely distracted by the bass player who was sort of like Grizzly Adams in skin tight jeans with his hair swept forward artfully and very strange sense of how to dance onstage.

At the base of the Brooklyn Bridge, indie rock band the Hold Steady packs an enthusiastic crowd into the historic Old Emigrant Savings Bank Building, which was built in 1908, and brings the building to life with songs from their latest album.

Midnight tonight on WNJN / PBS Ch. 50

EDIT: They lied, it wasn't Hold Steady, it was some tattooed lady & her even more tattooed vibes player with his hipster hat.

According to WNJN website, Hold Steady airs on 5/3 at midnight.

Yeah they were on last night. They do make an impression. Got to see these guys someday.

OMFG. Tom Morello and Boots Riley's new band, Street Sweeper Social Club, made their first East Coast live appearance last night: an unannounced 5-song set at the Roots Jam. Unbelievable. Music was very Rage-like. Seeing Tom play from about 10 feet away still has me shaking my head in disbelief. After the set he came out and improvised with Dave Murray, a great Illadelph sax player. Okayplayer had cameras there, so will link to video if the post it. They are support on the Nine Inch Nails/Jane's Addiction (aka NIN/JA) tour this summer.

One of the best live musical surprises I've had in years.

Unbelievable. Music was very Rage-like. Seeing Tom play from about 10 feet away still has me shaking my head in disbelief.

10 feet? Make that 5 feet away watching a bona fide guitar god completely rock out on his signature "Arm the Homeless" guitar. Trying not to embarrass myself with overexcited girly squeals only dogs can hear. Nearly fainting with delight when Morello LOCKED EYES with Blondie and me. Ready to throw my limp rag body up on stage. It was un-fucking-believable. An amazing live music experience.

(Did Blondie mention one of the songs played was a cover of Paper Planes?)

Unbelievable. Music was very Rage-like. Seeing Tom play from about 10 feet away still has me shaking my head in disbelief.

10 feet? Make that 5 feet away watching a bona fide guitar god completely rock out on his signature "Arm the Homeless" guitar. Trying not to embarrass myself with overexcited girly squeals only dogs can hear. Nearly fainting with delight when Morello LOCKED EYES with Blondie and me. Ready to throw my limp rag body up on stage. It was un-fucking-believable. An amazing live music experience.

(Did Blondie mention one of the songs played was a cover of Paper Planes?)

Third all this. Best thing I've seen all year. And yes, the eyelock thing that Tom did had me almost swooning. And Tom and Boots can both dance, too.

For anyone who can nap or power through the next day on little sleep (the shows start at 11 or 12 and are about 2 hours long), I would highly recommend these shows. For $10 they are unbeatable. And last night's for any amount of money would still have been really,really great.

I have been to three of these shows and at all the crowd has been one of the more civilized I've encountered recently (very few if any drunken frat boy types).

Went to a great show by Cloud Cult last night at First Avenue in Minneapolis with mongo and company. Lots of songs from Feel Good Ghosts and some crowd pleasers from previous albums. I really like their recordings but they are even more appealing as a concert band. With the fairly large band and the hippie painting going on in the back there is lots to look at, of course, but it's their sound that is the strength. The vocals are really clear and the strings really fill the space differently than the standard guitar/bass combination.

Ice Palace, a local band, was the first opener and were pretty solid. Interesting songs and a very good sound. I'll have to remember that when I check listings.

Maps and Atlasses, from Chicago, was the second opener and were not very appealing. I admit to being completely distracted by the bass player who was sort of like Grizzly Adams in skin tight jeans with his hair swept forward artfully and very strange sense of how to dance onstage.

a great show indeed. as i said, i think i might like maps and atlasses sound more than that of ice palace if i were to hear them both on recordings. but live, the energy of ice palace trumps the hipster stylings of maps and atlasses.

any minute now, i will get around to finally buying tickets to the king khan show on the 16th.

a great show indeed. as i said, i think i might like maps and atlasses sound more than that of ice palace if i were to hear them both on recordings. but live, the energy of ice palace trumps the hipster stylings of maps and atlasses.

any minute now, i will get around to finally buying tickets to the king khan show on the 16th.

I saw King Khan in Hoboken last weekend. Really great show. Have fun!

was the show sold out? the band's still largely an unknown quantity in the u.s. even though very little ever sells out well in advance in this area (another benefit to living here, 10 months of winter is not the only thing we have going for us) i would hate to miss them, so i think i will buy my tix today.