The farmers market thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll start the ball rolling with the fingerling potatoes I bought at Tompkins Square yesterday. I am very bad at remembering the names of stalls, but there are only half a dozen or so here (open Sund

They make Hooligan (full stop) which some might call stinky. And mean that as a compliment.

Nice to see you here, Paul.

Posted Images

I am not a frequent shopper at the USGM, and was struck at the number of different potatoes I saw today. Is this relatively new (the large selections)? Seems that more growers are adding more varieties to their lists. In a way, similar to the tomato craze. In fact the range of tubers, vegetables and other produce was far larger than I ever recall. Exciting.

I got some delicata squash from Brooklyn GAP on Saturday. I cut 'em in half and roasted them with some garlic and sage, then scooped out the flesh into a pot and cooked it up with a touch-- really just a tiny bit-- of butter and milk. Man! Good stuff. It mixed up with such a nice texture, and it had this wonderful natural sweetness.

Was this just the greenmarket factor or are delicata squash always this good? I've always thought they looked pretty but never bothered with them as I thought it seemed like they'd be a pain to deal with.

I got some delicata squash from Brooklyn GAP on Saturday. I cut 'em in half and roasted them with some garlic and sage, then scooped out the flesh into a pot and cooked it up with a touch-- really just a tiny bit-- of butter and milk. Man! Good stuff. It mixed up with such a nice texture, and it had this wonderful natural sweetness.

Was this just the greenmarket factor or are delicata squash always this good? I've always thought they looked pretty but never bothered with them as I thought it seemed like they'd be a pain to deal with.

I've always thought they were very good, better than your average squash.

They might be my favorite winter squash. Try this method, which I cribbed from Laurie Colwin who got it from John Thorne: Preheat oven to 450F--oven must be hot, hot for this dish to work so make sure you heat for long enough. Peel and seed squash, cut in chunks of about 2 inches, dredge lightly in flour (Wondra perfect for this), put in an oiled dish (I use a le Creuset gratin dish), salt and pepper, sprinkle with a little minced garlic and grated parmigiana, drizzle with olive oil and bake until golden and crusty on top. The interior will be tender and molten, with a crust on the bottom. Delicious and very easy.

I think I have posted about this before.

Flying Pigs now has veal so I loaded up with chops, cutlets and ground beef and veal.

Thanks, Abby. Gotta check that out pronto. Have you tried it yet?

FYI, next week will be Yuno's last for the year.

I threw them in the freezer and I will report back when I try the MEAT. (Most likely next weekend.)