The farmers market thread

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll start the ball rolling with the fingerling potatoes I bought at Tompkins Square yesterday. I am very bad at remembering the names of stalls, but there are only half a dozen or so here (open Sund

They make Hooligan (full stop) which some might call stinky. And mean that as a compliment.

Nice to see you here, Paul.

Posted Images

Using a Mario recipe (veal chops with dried porcini), I made the chops last night. I let them cook a tad too long but they were still very, very good. I hope to give a ragu bolognese report in the near future.

Do you recall what the prices are like on the veal?

Using a Mario recipe (veal chops with dried porcini), I made the chops last night. I let them cook a tad too long but they were still very, very good. I hope to give a ragu bolognese report in the near future.

If I had to guess I would say maybe $15 a lb on the chops and maybe $10 for the ground meat, but I'm not positive.

If I had to guess I would say maybe $15 a lb on the chops and maybe $10 for the ground meat, but I'm not positive.

That's grass fed veal, I assume?

A shout-out to Sweet Tree Farm out of Carlisle, NY. Their meat is so good that I have somehow managed to devote a large amount of freezer space to it. They sell at the Troy Farmers Market. They are such nice people, and so knowledgeable and helpful. And their various kinds of sausages are also terrific.

By the way the Troy Farmers Market operates 52 Saturdays a year - from mid-Nov until early spring, it moves inside to a big atrium in downtown Troy and it's great.

http://www.troymarket.org/

• 1 month later...

Union Square was crowded at 10 AM, despite the cold. I got a Flying Pigs blade roast for dinner tomorrow, and some hocks for pozole rojo next weekend. From Paffenroth, new-to-me Ozette fingerlings and red cipolline - as I've said before, these are superlative roasting onions, turning sweet and melty and marmalade-y in the oven. From Northshire, a beautiful green cabbage destined for GG's crack slaw. Wheatgrass for the felines.

I'm kicking myself for not buying more garlic from Keith. My stash is almost depleted.

I don't understand why Keith is the only one at the USGM with that kind of garlic. It's at several vendors at the Troy Farmers market in season. In fact, there are plenty of farmers at that market who sell different varieties of garlic, and some of them are superb.

Knoll Krest is selling pasta made with their eggs--plain, spinach, and beet fettuccine, and filled ravioli (don't remember what the filling is). I'm going to give the spinach a try tonight.

ETA: not bad, though the spinach taste isn't too strong.

• 3 weeks later...

My personal shopper arrived home with:

Flying Pigs breakfast sausage

Flying Pigs Chardonnay sausage

Flying Pigs back bacon

Cato Corner cheese

Pumpernickel chocolate cherry bread

Hawthorne Valley slaw

parsnips

celery root

tiny Cipolline-looking onions

potatoes