The farmers market thread

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll start the ball rolling with the fingerling potatoes I bought at Tompkins Square yesterday. I am very bad at remembering the names of stalls, but there are only half a dozen or so here (open Sund

They make Hooligan (full stop) which some might call stinky. And mean that as a compliment.

Nice to see you here, Paul.

Posted Images

I spent a pleasant hour in the market late this morning and came away with a sizable late summer haul. An enormous bunch of basil and two kinds of kale from Gorzynski, peaches from Terhune, Tonjes fromage blanc, the last of the blueberries from Fantasty Fruit Farms (where I was given a taste of excellent sweet grapes with slightly tough skins), Rick Bishop's wild arugula and shallots, two quarts of Eckerton tomatoes, onions and garlic.

Seen pushing her granny cart through the market: Paulina Porizkova.

I hit the USGM mid-afternoon. What a mob scene. Skipped the peaches but got some lovely little plums from Maradonna. One farmer at the south end had actual yellow corn, so I grabbed 6 ears. Either his farm is named Montgomery or it's in a town called Montgomery, I wound up a little too sun-dazed to remember exactly. He also had the only green beans I saw in the entire market. I get better beans out here right now but I ate them all, so bought some of those too. Carrots & lettuce from SSO. I'm still convinced that they have the best carrots at the market.

Then I dragged all that crosstown to Chelsea Market & filled up the corners of my wheelie bag with meats & cheeses & biscuits from Buon Italia.

I still love New York. :D

The earliest I can get there is 11 am (b/c I love to sleep late on the weekends).

I agree about the mob scene. If I lived closer, I might be able to get there at a decent hour and avoid the crowds.

Yeah, I hadn't been to the Saturday market in ages. Seems much more jammed than Weds or Fri.

Still, I found the crowds surprisingly civil & courteous; everyone seemed to be looking out for each other, lots of "Sorry" & "Excuse me" to be heard. Only one example of blatant rudeness, & that was from an old guy who had stolen a plum & shoved me in his haste to make off with the loot. Maybe it was the overlay of 9/11 reminding folks that, as Red Green says, we're all in this together.

Stopped by the hipster market New Amsterdam Market earlier this afternoon. It will be weekly throughout this fall, until 12/19. No market 11/28; I suppose the trust-funders have to go home to T-day.

There were some decent items to be had at reasonable prices -- Acme Smoked Fish had whole smoked Great Lakes Whitefish for $10 each; the one I brought home weighed a little over 1 lb 10 oz, so that's quite a deal. One of the farmstands (Zone 7, I think) had garlic for $8/pound, so three heads were $2, as opposed to the guys trying to sell it for $5/head. :blink: And the Finnish rye bread guys were there again; they will be there every week. (Sadly, Acme will not, but once the Bering cisco come into season, I hope they will return.) There was also a Sussex County, NJ farm offering Mangalitsa pork. They were out of bacon by the time I got there, but had some other good-looking cuts. They are also on the list for a weekly appearance.

Kitty-corner at the market sponsored by General Death Growth at the Seaport, the Migliorellis are now the produce vendor. The meat guy was not there today.

Cooked & ate the first batch of that yellow corn last night. Very nice. As usual, less of that super-sweet edge than you get with a lot of the bicolors, & a bit more character. I seem to recall yellow corn in other years with an even more pronounced flavor, but this still ranks among this year's best.

Looking at the USGM map, I'm pretty sure it came from Hoeffner Farms, who are there on Weds & Sat. Worth seeking out.

Stopped by the hipster market New Amsterdam Market earlier this afternoon. It will be weekly throughout this fall, until 12/19. No market 11/28; I suppose the trust-funders have to go home to T-day.

There were some decent items to be had at reasonable prices -- Acme Smoked Fish had whole smoked Great Lakes Whitefish for $10 each; the one I brought home weighed a little over 1 lb 10 oz, so that's quite a deal. One of the farmstands (Zone 7, I think) had garlic for $8/pound, so three heads were $2, as opposed to the guys trying to sell it for $5/head. :blink: And the Finnish rye bread guys were there again; they will be there every week. (Sadly, Acme will not, but once the Bering cisco come into season, I hope they will return.) There was also a Sussex County, NJ farm offering Mangalitsa pork. They were out of bacon by the time I got there, but had some other good-looking cuts. They are also on the list for a weekly appearance.

Kitty-corner at the market sponsored by General Death Growth at the Seaport, the Migliorellis are now the produce vendor. The meat guy was not there today.

A slice of the rye bread with mayo, whitefish, shallot, tomato, is a very good thing.

We got some piece from the mangalitsa boys, still in the freezer, we'll see how it goes, as well as veggies and mushrooms from one of the vendors who used to be in the Tompkins Square Park greenmarket.

Do we have a CSA thread? Jimmy's 43 is promoting this meat, cheese, eggs CSA:

http://highpointfarmsnyc.wordpress.com/share-info-2/

55 lbs of meat seems like a bit of a commitment given I have no idea if their stuff is any good.

I went to the greenmarket in Dag Hammarskjold Plaza today at lunchtime (my office is a block away). Very nice, despite the army of pigeons. Lani is there and she had so much beautiful stuff. I got tomatoes, sungolds and basil from her. She also had gorgeous cranberry beans, the first I have seen this season. I was told she will have them on Monday at Union Square but to get there early because 'the restaurants take all of them'.

Valley Shepard Creamery is there as well and I got a small piece of a brie-like soft cheese. Their semisoft cheese is quite nice, we'll see about this one. I also picked up a nice-looking boule from something called Hot Bread Kitchen, again we'll see.

The high point of the excursion however was getting into an altercation with an elderly woman who was being rude and abusive to the woman working Lani's stand. Sometimes I wish I could learn to keep my mouth shut.

The high point of the excursion however was getting into an altercation with an elderly woman who was being rude and abusive to the woman working Lani's stand. Sometimes I wish I could learn to keep my mouth shut.

A dangerous place for that - everyone either has diplomatic immunity or enough money to disappear you.

At the USGM Lani location I gave a hard time to a woman who thought I was Hispanic and could not wrap her head around the idea that I don't work there. I don't know how I managed to avoid calling her a racist bitch :lol:

One thing I learned yesterday was that rabbit can be fattened similarly to duck - a 2.5lb animal from John Fazio was the fattest rabbit I've ever encountered, with every part but the saddle comparably fatty to chicken thigh. Worked well in a classing mustard/creme fraiche prep but next time I'd cook everything but the saddle for even longer than an hour... a really different animal to work with than what I'm used to, much easier to deal with than usual.

• 2 weeks later...

Wild Gourmet Foods had a stunning selection of wild mushrooms this Sunday. At $32/lb their white matsutake must be the most affordable in the world (short of finding your own), and they were in perfect shape. They also had Chanterelles (although they're not at peak season), hen of the woods, chicken of the woods, lobster mushrooms, and a couple of others. We also got bacon from the mangalitsa boys, which was very good. Fresh buckwheat noodles from the ravioli store were very bad - all stuck together and pretty disappointing after cooking both in terms of flavor and texture.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Quince from Stokes (at Tribeca). They are almost ready, very fragrant. Not sure what I'll do with them, but I couldn't resist. This time I won't let the pectin sit so long it goes moldy, that's for sure.

Blue Moon had bay scallops ($23.95/lb), but I passed in preference for more striper. Yes, striper. :cool::) They promise Boston mackerel sometime soon. If they have it next week, that will be our T-Day main course, smoked.

• 5 weeks later...

The hipster market (officially New Amsterdam) under the highway by South Street has many coffee roasters/brewers today.

Bargain of the day: the Jasper Hill cheese guy is selling three different cheeses, all at $5 each for good-size pieces, and if you buy three, you get a fourth free.

It wasn't so bad there -- rain has stopped, and wind was intermittent, only occasionally knocking down signs.