The farmers market thread

The Cameo apples from Breezy Hill Orchards at the Weds USGM have been a refreshing treat in this dismal season. Apparently they store very well. I like them better than anything I've been able to find in Jersey these last couple months. I bought a week's supply when I was in town 2 weeks ago & then was sorry I hadn't got more; rectified that today by buying two weeks' worth.

It's the little things that keep you going in times like these.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll start the ball rolling with the fingerling potatoes I bought at Tompkins Square yesterday. I am very bad at remembering the names of stalls, but there are only half a dozen or so here (open Sund

They make Hooligan (full stop) which some might call stinky. And mean that as a compliment.

Well, we need a thread for the rest of the entire world outside NYC, so here ya go.   What did you get at your farmers market? What did you get in your CSA box? Either will do: post it here!

Posted Images

Yeah, we just tried some Cameos Saturday. A nice surprise, we'll probably get more.

I've mainly just been buying proteins at Tribeca, because there's not much more. It was a joy to see Prospect Hill again and be able to get apples and cider. Have to schlep up to USGM for the meager veg offerings.

I got some really nice potatoes at USGM 2 weeks ago. Another small pleasure. Yesterday, either the Tater Lady decided not to brave the ice storm, or they've finally sold everything they had in storage.

The USGM has been such a part of my life for so long, I can't stop now!

• 1 month later...

Cayuga Pure Organics has been at the greenmarkets for at least a year, apparently, but I only noticed them recently at Brooklyn GAP. They sell an assortment of (mostly whole grain) flours and also a pretty wide variety of heirloom beans. I bought a bag of black beans a couple weeks ago and cooked 'em up for a salad, they were very good. The bean prices are relatively competitive with rancho gordo but the bags are generally 12 ounces instead of a pound so I think it's actually a buck or two more expensive if you look at it from a per-pound perspective. The guy at the market also told me I could get a decent price on their all-purpose flour if I buy it in 25-pound increments from their website, but when I checked the site the AP flour wasn't listed. I may call them up and give the flour a try.

Haven't been to the Tribeca Greenmarket in a while, but some good news this week:

Blue Moon Fish is back, as of today. :D

There's a new (to me) goat cheese and meat stand, Ardith Mae, from Hallstead, PA. Very nice fresh chevre, feta. I also got some boneless goat stew meat; have to decide what to do with it. The Mexican-Nepali produce guys from Jersey were also there with some lovely leaf lettuce, along with Brussels sprouts, root vegs, and other things.

And there is now also a compost component pick-up stand, so maybe I will finally keep my veg scraps. Was always daunted by the thought of schlepping them up to Union Square. But since I hit the Tribeca market just about every week, this is easier.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't been to the Tribeca Greenmarket in a while, but some good news this week:

Blue Moon Fish is back, as of today. :D

There's a new (to me) goat cheese and meat stand, Ardith Mae, from Hallstead, PA. Very nice fresh chevre, feta. I also got some boneless goat stew meat; have to decide what to do with it. The Mexican-Nepali produce guys from Jersey were also there with some lovely leaf lettuce, along with Brussels sprouts, root vegs, and other things.

And there is now also a compost component pick-up stand, so maybe I will finally keep my veg scraps. Was always daunted by the thought of schlepping them up to Union Square. But since I hit the Tribeca market just about every week, this is easier.

The goat has been cooked with a Pakistani spice mix, onion, farro, and red lentils. Very nice. It stands up to the ton of pepper in the mix.

And now the issue is just remembering to bring the bag of scraps with me; last week I forgot them and Paul had to go out with them later.

• 2 months later...

The small, dead ripe, unsprayed strawberries from Lani's are what strawberries are supposed to be.

Meant to post - I got some berries from Phillips, the best I saw on Sat, & they are excellent, if perhaps sprayed. If Lani is there on Saturdays I didn't see them.

Also some fine snap peas from Cherry Lane (so much easier to deal with than the mobs at Migliorelli!). First of the season for me & what a treat.

Also some fine snap peas from Cherry Lane (so much easier to deal with than the mobs at Migliorelli!). First of the season for me & what a treat.

I like Cherry Lane much more.

I always try to buy from them. One good conversation with the lady there, some years ago, left me with a good feeling about them. I don't even recall what it was about now - probably peaches.

I always try to buy from them. One good conversation with the lady there, some years ago, left me with a good feeling about them. I don't even recall what it was about now - probably peaches.

My experience as well. The pleasant interaction, so many years ago, has kept me loyal.

I'm very excited that a Greenmarket is coming to the Socrates Sculpture Park on Saturdays, beginning at the end of this month. There will only be a handful of vendors to start, but it looks like one of them will be carrying Mexican specialty products.

5778331470_c88964e3c1_o.jpg

My favorite pic so far.

Scored some fantastic foraged oyster mushrooms from Violet Hill.

For this week: lamb's quarters, herbs, STRAWBERRIES!!!, wild turkey eggs (mostly gone by now, lovely soft-boiled or in an omelette), greens, poussin, asparagus, young onions, garlic scapes, lettuce.