The farmers market thread

today's haul -- black sea bass, scallops, chicken mushrooms from Violet Hill, Jersey tomatoes, herbs, sourdough, apple pie, lettuce, cucumber, eggs from Quattro's

Quattro's had unrendered duck fat. think I'll wait until they've got rendered, sometime in the fall.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll start the ball rolling with the fingerling potatoes I bought at Tompkins Square yesterday. I am very bad at remembering the names of stalls, but there are only half a dozen or so here (open Sund

They make Hooligan (full stop) which some might call stinky. And mean that as a compliment.

Nice to see you here, Paul.

Posted Images

An explanation for the recent difficulty buying cheese at the Greenmarket.

This would be risible if it weren't so annoying.

A letter to the Commissioner is in order.

Commissioner Darrel J. Aubertine

New York State Department of Agriculture & Markets

10B Airline Drive Albany, NY 12235 1800-554-4501

He could probably be e-mailed through the New York State Government site, but I think a paper letter makes more of an impression nowadays.

Ok, this is obviously an invitation for jokes about cutting the cheese in open air, but the greenmarket could use some substantial food safety improvements such as not letting shoppers touch the produce.

A cute little Greenmarket just opened up at the Socrates Sculpture Garden in Astoria. It's Saturdays only, 8 AM-4 PM. Below is a list of vendors:

--Ballard's Honey

--Calkins Creamery: aged raw cow's milk cheese and honey from Wayne County, Pennsylvania

--J. Glebocki Farm

--Gonzalez Farm

--Gudelio Garcia Farm

--Hot Bread Kitchen

--Hudson Valley Duck

--Lucky Dog Farm

--Red Jacket Orchard

There was a winery represented as well. The market is slated to go on through the end of November. I hope they succeed and eventually get more vendors.

That's why I always wash the produce I bring home. <_<

Yesterday at the raspberry stand on the NE corner, vendor A tells vendor B: "These here are really terrible." pointing at a bunch of blackberry pints, then sneezes all over them. laugh.gif

An explanation for the recent difficulty buying cheese at the Greenmarket.

This would be risible if it weren't so annoying.

A letter to the Commissioner is in order.

Commissioner Darrel J. Aubertine

New York State Department of Agriculture & Markets

10B Airline Drive Albany, NY 12235 1800-554-4501

He could probably be e-mailed through the New York State Government site, but I think a paper letter makes more of an impression nowadays.

The Commission has decided not to enforce the cheese slicing law.

The state Agriculture Department did an about-face and decided to exempt them from a 40-year-old regulation requiring a food processing license to slice cheese - which could only be obtained if the vendor had a "permanent" building with a three-compartment sink.

Cut the cheese

Summer squash, lettuce, peas, onions, zucchini, new potatoes, seedless cucumber, eggs, herbs, tomatoes, beets and FAVA BEANS.

Someone on Facebook mentioned that shelling them was too much work. Wholeheartedly disagree.

5943956093_2d75156b9d_o.jpg

Overheard today at the market: "Make sure you get only the ones that don't look rotten." Yeah lady, the farmers intentionally sell things that are rotten because they want to bilk you out of your hard-earned money. SRSLY. If you want pristine-looking produce, go to Eataly.

You're being unfair to Eataly. I've seen ugly produce there.

The peaches at Union Sq. looked good today, but were only so-so: watery and

with little depth of flavor. It's probably a bit early in the season. I had some of

the best peaches of my life last year at the market, but that was in mid-August.

The peaches at Union Sq. looked good today, but were only so-so: watery and

with little depth of flavor. It's probably a bit early in the season. I had some of

the best peaches of my life last year at the market, but that was in mid-August.

Jersey peaches purchased Weds at the little greenmarket here in my Jersey town had good texture but not yet prime flavor. Hoping for weekly improvement.

• 4 weeks later...

I think we may now be in the midst of a pretty good peach season. I tried samples in July from a couple different vendors at Brooklyn GAP and found the peaches not that sweet yet.

But last Weds I got peaches at the Weds Tribeca market, I think from Toigo Orchards (PA), and they were mind-blowing. A perfect peach is to me the ideal fruit, closely followed only by the elusive perfect pear.

Over the weekend I got some more peaches from a random farmstand in MD and they were also outstanding.

I just bought some white peaches from Toigo this morning and I will let you know how they are.

We've also been enjoying the summer squash from Evolutionary Organics. I buy the yellow long ones with the green sections at the end, or the paler yellow long ones that have a bumpy texture-- I can't remember what either variety is called. Then I just slice them on the bias and sautee in a little olive oil, throwing chopped garlic in at the end. This squash has such great flavor.

Yup, peaches from Toigo have been delicious. The ones this week are big, much bigger than last week's. I'm curious to hear what you think of their white peaches; I generally find the whites disappointing in both flavor and texture. Very good nectarines, too, albeit small.

Abby -- just saw that you got mussels from Blue Moon. We pigged out on them had some last Saturday, and they were excellent, very tasty, and all opened! I steamed them with just a little white wine, rather than adding them to the sauce I had started, because some were so heavy I feared they might be full of mud. But no, they were just very plump. I :wub: Blue Moon.

Got some really nice tomatoes this weekend.. I am going to make my own Tomato Paste this year..

Picked up these beautiful little melons they were just so good.. I smelled a bunch of them last weekend so and very few were ready.. they are probably all perfect by now..