Wilfrid1

The farmers market thread

Well, summer's over. No more peaches, no more nectarines. But lots of new apples and pears (red Bartletts have been delicious so far). And I'm still getting corn to eat fresh and freeze roasted.

My passion this year has been kohlrabi. Well, maybe passion is a bit strong, but it's quite a versatile vegetable. This week's will probably become a gratin with potato, veg stock, and cheese. And the leaves will be added to a chard-beet green mix.

We got the usual other stuff as well: two kinds of fish, a chicken (maybe this will be braised) and eggs, salad stuff, two kinds of potatoes--fairly boring but still delicious.

We have Stokes at Tribeca, and get all kinds of good stuff from them. Today they had THE most gorgeous red bell peppers, and their kirbies are always perfect. We don't get their heirloom tomatoes (too much $$$), but their regular ones are excellent.

And Blue Moon's Spanish mackerel was exquisite tonight.

We have Stokes at Tribeca, and get all kinds of good stuff from them. Today they had THE most gorgeous red bell peppers, and their kirbies are always perfect. We don't get their heirloom tomatoes (too much $$$), but their regular ones are excellent.

I actually like their regular tomatoes better. As I often find with heirlooms, a slight bitterness or pungency detracts from the pure tomato flavor.

I actually like their regular tomatoes better. As I often find with heirlooms, a slight bitterness or pungency detracts from the pure tomato flavor.

I also find a lot of heirlooms lack acid. I think because the growers have figured out non-red toms sell better as heirlooms.

New baker alert! Fridays at USGM - Nordic Breads.

Their Finnish Ruis Bread, 100% whole grain rye rolls, with 15% fiber, is the rye of your dreams. It's the kind of bread that says, sure, you can eat me. But you are going to work first! And then, back to the fields with you.

Their Finnish Ruis Bread, 100% whole grain rye rolls, with 15% fiber, is the rye of your dreams. It's the kind of bread that says, sure, you can eat me. But you are going to work first! And then, back to the fields with you.

Great stuff!

This is great news! I love their rolls, and it's much easier for me to get to USGM on Fridays than New Amsterdam Market on Sundays. And I know they sell them at Dean & DeLuca, but the markup is nuts.

This is great news! I love their rolls, and it's much easier for me to get to USGM on Fridays than New Amsterdam Market on Sundays. And I know they sell them at Dean & DeLuca, but the markup is nuts.

I saw them there on Friday as well. I've bought it as D&D a while back (for a crazy price) but it was excellent with the Cornish Yard I also purchased. At their stall, most wonderfully, they were giving out samples of the bread with cheese and cucumbers.

Just curious what D&D is charging. It's $4 for a large at New Hipsterdom, iirc. (Bought it a week ago; it's still good--that is, not fuzzy.)

Does anyone know which of the USG vendors sell Braeburn apples? Last week I bought some Honeycrisp apples from I don't remember where. One apple of another variety ended up in the bag. It was red-orange and green, not too big,and tasted as if the apple pie spices were already in it. An internet search suggested that the apple may have been a Braeburn, and if so, I want more of them.

Does anyone have any idea of what other apple variety it might have been? It was the best apple I've ever eaten.

Just curious what D&D is charging. It's $4 for a large at New Hipsterdom, iirc. (Bought it a week ago; it's still good--that is, not fuzzy.)

I'm embarrassed to say that it was at least double (maybe even close to triple) that -- but I was with my mother, a fan of all things Nordic, so I bought it.

I'm embarrassed to say that it was at least double (maybe even close to triple) that -- but I was with my mother, a fan of all things Nordic, so I bought it.

Close enough, thanks. :lol: And here I thought New Hipsterdom was expensive! That's really, really good bread, and actually one of the relatively reasonable items there. More than the whole-grain multiseeded boule I bought for $8. I forget whether it was Orwasher's or Sullivan Street. It was delicious, and hearty, and all those good things, but fuckin' eight dollars for a loaf of bread?!?!? :blink:

Close enough, thanks. :lol: And here I thought New Hipsterdom was expensive! That's really, really good bread, and actually one of the relatively reasonable items there. More than the whole-grain multiseeded boule I bought for $8. I forget whether it was Orwasher's or Sullivan Street. It was delicious, and hearty, and all those good things, but fuckin' eight dollars for a loaf of bread?!?!? :blink:

I thought I saw the large loaf at D&D SoHo for $5 some weeks ago, but I could be wrong. At WF a pack of small ones was $4.25 or so (sorry but I remember this stuff for no good reason)

As for the market you so like to bash because you'd obviously just rather have Supervalu, the very good veggies + apples + mushrooms stand, for example, was selling mushrooms at 25% less than USGM (e.g. Maitake for $20/lb vs $25/lb), very good apples for $1.65/lb vs $2.00, Candy onions for $1.50/lb, etc.*, and if you're nice you get some freebies (comp disclosure: red kale, excellent unpasteurized sweet cider). Sullivan wasn't there this week but I recently bought a loaf of horrendous olive bread at Grandaisy for $7.25 at the bakery, so $8 sounds about right for the loaf you describe (sure, overpriced by a huge amount because they can, but not relative to other places). Mosefund farm sells its Mangalitsa pork for substantially less than Flying Pigs sell their stuff and Mangalitsa is so fucking delicious it's amazing anyone still wants to eat any other white meat (certainly it's better than purple twaddle or whatever FP are selling, quite a bit better than Berkshire)

* of course Stone Barns may be there selling a carrot top for $20, but that's their problem, not yours.

Does anyone know which of the USG vendors sell Braeburn apples? Last week I bought some Honeycrisp apples from I don't remember where. One apple of another variety ended up in the bag. It was red-orange and green, not too big,and tasted as if the apple pie spices were already in it. An internet search suggested that the apple may have been a Braeburn, and if so, I want more of them.

Does anyone have any idea of what other apple variety it might have been? It was the best apple I've ever eaten.

What day did you buy apples? I might be able to figure it out by the process of elimination.