Wilfrid1

The farmers market thread

And how about shad roe? Too late?

Probably completely out of season, but recently i finally succeeded to find some cavolo nero at my local greenmarket: cooked simply ala River Cafe - blanched, whizzed sortly in the food processor with a bit of garlic, a splash of good EVOO, red pepper flakes on top of Latini orecchiette: excellent.

Oh I haven't missed the shad roe, have I? Never used to happen when I lived around the corner from a fishmonger.

Didn't see it at the greenmarket last week, but shad roe is still available at wild edibles.

I've taken to half curing it in salt, then cooking to medium rare and serving in a vietnamese roll or on toast with lemon aioli.

No shad yet. (And to confirm: Cato Corner does not have a cheese called Stinking Bishop. Lots of other lovely cheeses though. )

What's it called, Liza? Stinking something else? Or something else Bishop? Are they there today? If so, I'll go and figure out how I got confused and what it is I had that I loved so much.

Smelly archdeacon? Ponging pope?

Edit to add: Joking aside, they appear to make something called Stinky Hooligan.