The farmers market thread

Atlantic sea perch (which has nothing to do with any kind of perch, but you know how it is with fish names) is always on the bland side, but if it's fresh the skin should crisp up on a hot dry pan - you can tell before cooking by patting the skin dry with a paper towel - it should stick surprisingly well.

The USGM bread situation has really improved - the rye finns are there on Saturday, as well as Farmer Ground with some very good looking loafs, and another decent bread stall... I forget the name. Other than that, the usual suspect with a lot of root vegetables.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll start the ball rolling with the fingerling potatoes I bought at Tompkins Square yesterday. I am very bad at remembering the names of stalls, but there are only half a dozen or so here (open Sund

They make Hooligan (full stop) which some might call stinky. And mean that as a compliment.

Well, we need a thread for the rest of the entire world outside NYC, so here ya go.   What did you get at your farmers market? What did you get in your CSA box? Either will do: post it here!

Posted Images

It's possible I didn't heat the pan enough; I get impatient sometimes. But I'm still not so sure it would have crisped, even though I dried it quite thoroughly (even scraping off the excess moisture) and scored it so the fillets wouldn't curl. They still did, and were quite gelatinous.

Not a great loss--it wasn't that expensive per pound, and at least now I know I can trust the freshness of the guy's fish.

• 1 month later...

There were new people behind the counter at Lani's today, but I'm not jumping to conclusions until I ask a couple of questions.

I also saw one of the regulars helping the restaurant folks when I was there in the early morning.

Now that they're back at Tribeca, we still have some of the same people. My guess would be: new season, new help. Nothing more insidious. After all, a lot of the people who staff the booths are local (NYC) folks who just work the booth, not the farm.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI: Alex/Blue Moon is supposed to return to the Tribeca market tomorrow (3/24). :D :D :D

The replacement fish guy's stuff was fine, and we enjoyed everything we got from him, but this is good news indeed. (It was he who told us last week about Alex returning.)

• 1 month later...

New Hipsterdom Amsterdam market restarted for the season today.

Their special thing this week was the Bread Pavilion, with 14? 15? "local bakeries" [including a few that I find questionable as such] presenting breads made with "local" grains:

Bakeri

Bread Alone

Bien Cuit

BR Guest [???]

Dean & Deluca Bakery

Grandaisy Bakery

Hot Bread Kitchen

Il Buco Alimentari

Janet's Quality Baked Goods

Le Pain Quotidien [???]

Nordic Breads

OGRIN & Greenmarket

Orwashers Bakery

Roberta's Bread

Runner and Stone

Sullivan Street Bakery

and Jim Lahey was demonstrating his worms pizza at a mobile oven.

Next week will have "International Meats Local, with the New York Vendy Awards."

Better than that, the last Sunday of each month has a pair of foragers from Fairlee, Vermont. They might be back sooner if the guy finds his patches of black morels.

I'm not being snobby about them because they're a chain. I love their stuff, and sigh every time I have to pass one of their stores. I mean, yes, they have a central baking facility somewhere in the metropolitan area to service the stores, but that doesn't make them what I would consider a local bakery. They're no more than a set of local retail outlets of an international corporation. After all, I grew up in the days of having a bakery (i.e., a store that had ovens in the back and turned out fresh breads, rolls, cakes, cookies, and so on throughout the day) on the shopping stretch nearby, on the same block with the German delicatessen, the soda fountain, and the A&P (which nowadays would be laughably inadequate) and down the street from the butcher, the fish store, and the greengrocer. Now, that was local. As was the bakery we drove to in Glen Oaks because they made better cakes, or the bagel bakery in the same shopping center.

And BR Guest???:unsure:

Is Bread Alone a local bakery?

Boiceville is a ways up the river, and out in the forest.

They do produce excellent bread, though.

They're always at the other Greenmarkets, so I guess so. The New Amsterdam Market gets vendors from as far away as Vermont.

New Hipsterdom doesn't have the same rules that Greenmarkets do; it's not part of that system. I don't know what its criteria are. So I'm guessing it can define "local" any way it likes. In this case, it definitely extended as far as the Finger Lakes. (Re distance: note that Consider Bardwell from Vermont and Toigo from Pennsylvania are from pretty far away, but are at Greenmarkets.)

But yes, Bread Alone, Hot Bread Kitchen, and Nordic Bread are also at Greenmarkets, as are a couple of the other regular stands (Queens Farm Museum and Rick's Picks).

New Hipsterdom doesn't have the same rules that Greenmarkets do; it's not part of that system. I don't know what its criteria are. So I'm guessing it can define "local" any way it likes. In this case, it definitely extended as far as the Finger Lakes. (Re distance: note that Consider Bardwell from Vermont and Toigo from Pennsylvania are from pretty far away, but are at Greenmarkets.)

But yes, Bread Alone, Hot Bread Kitchen, and Nordic Bread are also at Greenmarkets, as are a couple of the other regular stands (Queens Farm Museum and Rick's Picks).

Well bread at the greenmarkets already all violate the letter of the law on what is and what is not local. Unless I've missed the wheat farming district of the Hudson Valley.

Well bread at the greenmarkets already all violate the letter of the law on what is and what is not local. Unless I've missed the wheat farming district of the Hudson Valley.

It's not what we consider local; it's what GrowNYC says is within their radius for production, if not growing (assuming they do use that as a parameter). They're their markets, and their "law." If we could lure Liza back, she could probably give us a quick précis.

ETA: I know this sounds weird from me, having just complained about LPQ pretending to be a local bakery. But my objection to them was that they're actually international, not locally based. (And to BR Guest was that it's a restaurant group, not a producer that consumers can buy from directly.)

I tasted quite a few,maybe too many breads....that loaf from Il Buco was as good as a simple bread might get....shattery crust,beautifully structured,tasty middle.With some good butter and some blackcurrant jam from Summers End Orchard [ullaville?]or some similar name[near Cooperstown],bitta heaven