The farmers market thread

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll start the ball rolling with the fingerling potatoes I bought at Tompkins Square yesterday. I am very bad at remembering the names of stalls, but there are only half a dozen or so here (open Sund

They make Hooligan (full stop) which some might call stinky. And mean that as a compliment.

Well, we need a thread for the rest of the entire world outside NYC, so here ya go.   What did you get at your farmers market? What did you get in your CSA box? Either will do: post it here!

Posted Images

Fuck you.

Nice.

In any event, once they get done (I know) with all that construction, it won't be half so bad. And if they could actually put it inside the building, it would be even better.

Don't pay him any mind. He's Israeli. (No, seriously, it's okay, we don't mean the nastiness. At least I don't.:lol:)

See, now I'm really worried that LaValva--who seems to be a darling of the nouveau nabe set and the off-island hipsters--will actually get his hands on those derelict market buildings and get someone (like the city) to pay for his "vision" of a market, which has nothing to do with the kind of public markets that have always been so vital in NYC and elsewhere. Even when they include fancy-schmancy purveyors and chochkes, they provide real food for real people, too. (Think Pike Place Market in Seattle; Haymarket in Boston; Gratiot Central and Eastern Markets in Detroit, Eastern Market in DC; even the Ferry Building in SF since it does have the farmers' market out on the plaza; and in its own way, Chelsea Market. Those are just the ones I know; there are probably others in other cities.) LaGuardia did the right thing in bringing the pushcarts indoors, but LaValva will bring very little of value.

The only problem, other than the relentless ranting, offensive responses and spitting at bloggers, posting on a discussion board with the disclaimer that there'll be no discussion, etc. is that your theory simply makes no sense.

According to your theory, LaValva was just pretending he wanted to create a new market, one that is perhaps more similar to Borrough Market than to the green market, while he was scheming to start Smorgasburg West all along (well before Smorgasburg existed). That's why for seven years he's been bringing down farmers, brewers, foragers, chocolate makers, butchers, fishmongers, and all kinds of Brooklyn weirdos to make a case for the city surrendering a permanent structure... how clever of him, and how wealthy he's going to become now that it's all people's pops and lobster rolls!

I have an alternative theory that makes more sense - LaValva, being genuinely displeased with the nyc green market system for many reasons I'd rather not go into, wanted to establish an alternative market or markets that operate with somewhat fewer restrictions and that will eventually help farmers and producers further up the chain with distribution, marketing, education, etc. His idea was that by setting this market up and showing there's community support (in the form of shoppers, members, etc.), he's going to make the case for a permanent market building and perhaps some grants. Unfortunately, it turned out that part of town is mostly populated with first year analysts who live on a diet of buffalo wing pizza, and grumpy old women who want $1 chickens and rutabagas. So few of them were interested in buying produce, locally grown meats, or fish, that the majority of farms simply never came back (one of them, which I like, actually left after the third hour of their first day laugh.gif). The only way to keep things going was through a combination of ready-to-eat stands that can serve tourists and yelpers, and various thematic market days.

I'm sure there's more to the Do Re Mi story, as there's no lack of space for their stall, but I won't know what it is until I ask.

Yes, and I'm sure Maggie of Flying Fox hand-picked the dragonfruit she had at her stand yesterday personally, from farms throughout the Northeast.

Fruiterer, Maggie Nescur hand picks seasonal and a variety of heirloom fruits from all of Northeast region farms sold exclusively at the New Amsterdam Market and to selected restaurants. Flying Fox started with the mission to support local farmers and for the love for fruits.

Pathmark

eta: do you think Maggie Nesciur is lying? Everyone is part of a huge conspiracy against selling you cheap stuff?

I met Maggie Nesciur there, who calls herself a fruiterer. She drives around to pick the best fruit from different small, local farms and sells them to restaurants and individuals.

When I was there, she had some wineberries—miniature wild strawberries and some luscious peaches on branches. Each fruit looked like a jewel.

They make pies, jams and preserves that are superior to those made with sweet cherries, which are better for eating out of hand.

On Friday, there was a sign at Samascott to the effect that there would be no cherries this year due to the very warm winter, which allowed the trees to bloom so early that a later frost killed them, with not enough time to set new blooms for this season.

I have an alternative theory that makes more sense - LaValva, being genuinely displeased with the nyc green market system for many reasons I'd rather not go into, wanted to establish an alternative market or markets that operate with somewhat fewer restrictions and that will eventually help farmers and producers further up the chain with distribution, marketing, education, etc. His idea was that by setting this market up and showing there's community support (in the form of shoppers, members, etc.), he's going to make the case for a permanent market building and perhaps some grants. Unfortunately, it turned out that part of town is mostly populated with first year analysts who live on a diet of buffalo wing pizza, and grumpy old women who want $1 chickens and rutabagas. So few of them were interested in buying produce, locally grown meats, or fish, that the majority of farms simply never came back (one of them, which I like, actually left after the third hour of their first day laugh.gif). The only way to keep things going was through a combination of ready-to-eat stands that can serve tourists and yelpers, and various thematic market days.

Wouldn't it have just been easier to change locations at that point?

Back to the NA Market - there was a guy giving out samples of grill/roasted beef yesterday - said he was going to be opening a retail operation within the restaurant Sauce, on Rivington St. And on Mondays they'd be butchering large cuts and maybe some whole pig-like animals, which he claimed were coming from a farm in Vermont. In any event, I wish I had listened more closely, because some of what he was saying sounded very cool - especially considering what Heritage Meats charges.

Moving right along....first sour cherries of an allegedly short season at Union Square.Git 'em while you can...Fruit is showing early-it's confusing.;[

I was looking at them on Saturday - what do you do like to do with them?

First and foremost,nothing beats a classic sour cherry pie. Brandied compote.

Wouldn't it have just been easier to change locations at that point?

Probably, but I think they're still trying to make the point that the city should give them the market building (which in some imaginary future will be right next to two new residential projects) and they feel like being there is helpful to the cause.