The farmers market thread

Moving right along....first sour cherries of an allegedly short season at Union Square.Git 'em while you can...Fruit is showing early-it's confusing.;[

I was looking at them on Saturday - what do you do like to do with them?

First and foremost,nothing beats a classic sour cherry pie. Brandied compote.

Aren't they the same as the cherries you use for Wisniak?

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll start the ball rolling with the fingerling potatoes I bought at Tompkins Square yesterday. I am very bad at remembering the names of stalls, but there are only half a dozen or so here (open Sund

They make Hooligan (full stop) which some might call stinky. And mean that as a compliment.

Nice to see you here, Paul.

Posted Images

They make pies, jams and preserves that are superior to those made with sweet cherries, which are better for eating out of hand.

On Friday, there was a sign at Samascott to the effect that there would be no cherries this year due to the very warm winter, which allowed the trees to bloom so early that a later frost killed them, with not enough time to set new blooms for this season.

Interesting. We're getting cherries from our CSA today (the fruit comes from Hepworth Farms) and I'll be curious to see if we get sweet or sour ones.

I've made a sour cherry soup with them, which goes great with bing cherry ice cream.

my mother used to make a soup like it for summer lunches when i was a kid. minus the ice cream though - it would have been a huge hit with us kids with the ice cream instead of some noodles

Moving right along....first sour cherries of an allegedly short season at Union Square.Git 'em while you can...Fruit is showing early-it's confusing.;[

wingding, you make Wisniak?! is it for the restaurant or personal use?

another way to my mother's heart as this is her favorite liqueur :lol:

I've made a sour cherry soup with them, which goes great with bing cherry ice cream.

my mother used to make a soup like it for summer lunches when i was a kid. minus the ice cream though - it would have been a huge hit with us kids with the ice cream instead of some noodles

Then she would've had to serve it as dessert!

I think with your CSA, it could go either way as I bought a quart of sweet cherries (@USQ) last week; they were only OK.

Personal use....I just cooked a 10 pound flat [$66.00 worth] of cherries at work today...yielding 3 quarts of compote,if I'm lucky.Yikes

Personal use....I just cooked a 10 pound flat [$66.00 worth] of cherries at work today...yielding 3 quarts of compote,if I'm lucky.Yikes

Nice! as much as my mom lives wisniowka, i don't think she ever made her own. i had some really good stuff in friends' homes when in high school and...um..."studying." (their parents' liquor cabinet, obviously, among other things).

i do remember my mother's favorite brand of cherry liqueur though. she used to enjoy a little shot for each window she washed before Easter (not as crazy as it may sound - it was a tiny apartment). talk about motivation though :lol:

We got raspberries from the CSA yesterday instead of cherries. It seems a bit early for raspberries--has anyone been seeing them in the markets? (I haven't been to USQ in ages.) For the record, the ones we got are excellent.

my husband came back from the market with the same news Susanne reported about Do Re Mi farm. Strange that LaValva would not tell them why they are out, esp. since they have a signed contract and paid their fees upfront. Apparently he told them that he did not have to give a reason. glad they are still in the area as getting good produce down here is not easy and we buy from them every week.

I'll bet it has something to do with a new market that's supposed to open right by Atera.

http://allgoodthingsny.com/

my husband came back from the market with the same news Susanne reported about Do Re Mi farm. Strange that LaValva would not tell them why they are out, esp. since they have a signed contract and paid their fees upfront. Apparently he told them that he did not have to give a reason. glad they are still in the area as getting good produce down here is not easy and we buy from them every week.

I'll bet it has something to do with a new market that's supposed to open right by Atera.

http://allgoodthingsny.com/

Or not. Unless New Hipsterdom has suddenly instituted an exclusivity clause, which seems unlikely given the many other stands that are here, there, and everywhere, including some with their own brick-and-mortar sites (Luke's Lobster; Queens Farm Museum; Sullivan Street Bakery, to name only three one can find elsewhere as well).

Maybe we should be asking Jimmy Carbone why he's no longer there.

You seem very angry.

eta: and confused - isn't Jimmy's one of the ready-to-eat stands you were ranting against just days ago?

You're projecting. And of course you're confused: you keep thinking in terms of your argument, not my statements.

BTW: 102 Franklin Street (All Good Things) is two very long blocks north and two good-size half-blocks west of 77 Worth (Atera). So what was your point, since AGT is not "right by Atera" as you seem to believe?

You seem very angry.

eta: and confused - isn't Jimmy's one of the ready-to-eat stands you were ranting against just days ago?

You're projecting. And of course you're confused: you keep thinking in terms of your argument, not my statements.

BTW: 102 Franklin Street (All Good Things) is two very long blocks north and two good-size half-blocks west of 77 Worth (Atera). So what was your point, since AGT is not "right by Atera" as you seem to believe?

rolleyes.gif

Yes, miles away.