The farmers market thread

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll start the ball rolling with the fingerling potatoes I bought at Tompkins Square yesterday. I am very bad at remembering the names of stalls, but there are only half a dozen or so here (open Sund

They make Hooligan (full stop) which some might call stinky. And mean that as a compliment.

Well, we need a thread for the rest of the entire world outside NYC, so here ya go.   What did you get at your farmers market? What did you get in your CSA box? Either will do: post it here!

Posted Images

You seem very angry.

eta: and confused - isn't Jimmy's one of the ready-to-eat stands you were ranting against just days ago?

You're projecting. And of course you're confused: you keep thinking in terms of your argument, not my statements.

BTW: 102 Franklin Street (All Good Things) is two very long blocks north and two good-size half-blocks west of 77 Worth (Atera). So what was your point, since AGT is not "right by Atera" as you seem to believe?

rolleyes.gif

Yes, miles away.

Hey, Mossad, it's enough to make a difference between hitting your target and killing a bunch of babies instead.

I saw (and purchased from) Do Re Mi today - they were across the street from the New Amsterdam Market, where some other more semi-permanent vendors are located. I don't know if it's considered part of the NA or not.

New Amsterdam was a cheesy paradise - I even gave Anne Saxelby a hard time for everything she's responsible for.

I saw (and purchased from) Do Re Mi today - they were across the street from the New Amsterdam Market, where some other more semi-permanent vendors are located. I don't know if it's considered part of the NA or not.

New Amsterdam was a cheesy paradise - I even gave Anne Saxelby a hard time for everything she's responsible for.

No, Fulton Stall Market is absolutely not any part of New Hipsterdom. It is owned and run by The Howard Hughes Corporation, which now owns SSSP. I have no great love for FSM, but at least it has a vendor or two I like. I tried a beef strip steak from New York Farm 2 Door last week, and it was okay, but not worth the price. (The beef at Tribeca GM has much more flavor.) The FSM empanada lady's empanadas are good, but we like my chimichurri better--it's gutsier than hers. The vendors at FSM originally were told outrageous stories of how many customers they'd have/how much $ they'd make, and in the early days were quick to drop out when those stories turned out not to be true (because there was no effort made to get local residents in to buy). A previous owner of the Seaport complex tried to engage the community in its "vision" which even then, at least three years ago, did not include anything residents really wanted, but rather a touristy retail ideal. The presentation my co-op's board got was met with skepticism, to say the least.

Today's Dairy Fair at New Hipsterdom was pretty funny: there were vendors like Saxelby, Murray's, Lucy's Whey, and Eastern District among others, who sell not what they produce (because they don't produce anything) but what the cheesemakers make--in other words, middlemen; selective, but middlemen nonetheless, whom one can visit anytime. Others like Consider Bardwell, Crowley, Nettle Creek, Jasper Hill, and Old Chatham have many retail outlets already in the city at places like the first, Whole Food, and so on. There might have been some cheesemakers who have absolutely no representation here, but I did not have time to ask every single one where their stuff is available. It basically seemed like a Greatest Hits of Northeast Cheeses. Except of course that there are many, many more equally worthy cheesemakers in the region.

• 2 weeks later...

my neighborhood is finally getting a greenmarket starting tomorrow!. will be setting my alarm so that i can get there extra early. i have my doubts about the location (in front of the forest hills post office across the street from mcdonald park) but even with relatively postage stamp space available it'll be nice to get farm fresh produce. woo hoo!

my neighborhood is finally getting a greenmarket starting tomorrow!. will be setting my alarm so that i can get there extra early. i have my doubts about the location (in front of the forest hills post office across the street from mcdonald park) but even with relatively postage stamp space available it'll be nice to get farm fresh produce. woo hoo!

Looks like you might have a decent range of stuff there!

• 1 month later...

Fresh shelling beans are in season now,and can be wonderful,though mostly sold to restaurants.Talk to Franca at Berried Treasures or Rick Bishop[Mountainsweet] at Union Square.

Now that I have job I actually have to show up at 5 days a week I don't get to go to the Market on Fridays anymore. No more Berried Treasures - which bums me out.

Fresh shelling beans are in season now,and can be wonderful,though mostly sold to restaurants.Talk to Franca at Berried Treasures or Rick Bishop[Mountainsweet] at Union Square.

I bought them from Franca last Wednesday morning. Maxwell Farms usually has them (Mondays) as does Migliorelli and Race Farms.

• 3 weeks later...