The farmers market thread

Once the black sea bass rolls in, you can really have some fun (possible my favorite farmer's market fish).

Second only to the female flukes when they get to be 3+ lbs, imo. On the grill they're their own steamer, until the skin breaks to allow olive oil or butter in.

Don't tell Orik, but I froze the sea trout.

As part of renovating the kitchen we've gotten rid of the freezer altogether. I figured if I really need something frozen I can always outsource it to Suzanne F.

You probably could, since there's not much in my freezer these days. I've stopped "stocking up" on proteins and only buy what I need each week. The biggest item in the freezer now is the box (well sealed) that holds the inedible vegetable and fruit parings waiting to be dropped off at the compost booth each Saturday. And soon there will probably be two boxes on a regular basis, esp. once we get into corn season.

Splinky, I really doubt there are any ice pops that meet Orik's exacting standards. I just wonder where he keeps the vodka bottle.

ETA: Joe: There's no reason to go without those--none of that "ripening" nonsense. You make it, you spin it, you eat it!

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll start the ball rolling with the fingerling potatoes I bought at Tompkins Square yesterday. I am very bad at remembering the names of stalls, but there are only half a dozen or so here (open Sund

They make Hooligan (full stop) which some might call stinky. And mean that as a compliment.

Nice to see you here, Paul.

Posted Images

In my freezer : all baking supplies, well-wrapped and sealed --I have a persistent issue with critters getting into this stuff so it lives in the freezer, for the same reason grains and pasta are stored in the fridge. A bottle of vodka. Foil-wrapped parmigiana rinds. A couple of ice trays which I occasionally remember to fill.

In my freezer : all baking supplies, well-wrapped and sealed --I have a persistent issue with critters getting into this stuff so it lives in the freezer, for the same reason grains and pasta are stored in the fridge. A bottle of vodka. Foil-wrapped parmigiana rinds. A couple of ice trays which I occasionally remember to fill.
the sad part is the critters often come home in the boxes from the supermarket. I tend to remove almost all pasta, rice, beans and flour from the boxes, check for critters and store in airtight containers. Boxes go out for recycling within minutes.
  • Like 1

the sad part is the critters often come home in the boxes from the supermarket. I tend to remove almost all pasta, rice, beans and flour from the boxes, check for critters and store in airtight containers. Boxes go out for recycling within minutes.

So true. Also a good move to transfer and freeze dried mushrooms, as the extended cold will kill any larvae that might not be visible. Learned that through an unhappy porcini situation. :(

I've lately been annoyed at Greenmarket vendors and 'artisanal'- butchers who are selling chickens and rabbits without their innards...for a lotta lettuce.So shopped up at Riancardi's on Arthur Ave. this weekend,where upstate rabbits are half the price,liver and kidneys enclosed.Yes,I know that the trip is a hike and a half for most of us,but that said,these guys + Randazzo's really need more business.Great food shopping,and the tour groups being shuttled through for local color won't buy shellfish or rabbits.Support these guys,if you can,or they will be gone...

Good point. I really miss giblets, esp. duck.

Dare I admit I've never been up there? I just did. Maybe I'll have to find the time, and fill up my freezer again. (Sorry, Orik.) But in the meantime, I'm making do with whatever I get on Saturdays, supplemented with the occasion stop at Eataly and Grand Central Market when I happen to be in those neighborhoods.

• 2 weeks later...

At least they're upfront about it, not like poison ivy. I don't really know what to do with them except this thing that's not quite tea and not quite soup.

By the way, the head and bones from those sea trout make a superb, clean, gelatinous stock and the roe produces excellent tarama. The fish itself is nothing exciting but fine.

You can saute them if you wash and cook the shit out of them. They're not bad at all.

But not worth the trouble of avoiding contact with the uncooked greens if you either don't have a pair of kitchen gloves or can't find the pair you remember your wife using but have no idea where she kept them.

You can saute them if you wash and cook the shit out of them. They're not bad at all.

But not worth the trouble of avoiding contact with the uncooked greens if you either don't have a pair of kitchen gloves or can't find the pair you remember your wife using but have no idea where she kept them.

walk over and buy some gloves from the pintchik boys

• 3 weeks later...