The farmers market thread

Nice article on Community Supported Agriculture operations in New York City in the Daily News. Just Foods gets prominent notice and a link.

I was surprised to see a general comment that participants receive organic food, though. In NJ, some CSAs are organic, others are not. I wonder if the organic comment refers only to Just Foods?

Just Foods

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll start the ball rolling with the fingerling potatoes I bought at Tompkins Square yesterday. I am very bad at remembering the names of stalls, but there are only half a dozen or so here (open Sund

They make Hooligan (full stop) which some might call stinky. And mean that as a compliment.

Nice to see you here, Paul.

Posted Images

Nice article on Community Supported Agriculture operations in New York City in the Daily News. Just Foods gets prominent notice and a link.

I was surprised to see a general comment that participants receive organic food, though. In NJ, some CSAs are organic, others are not. I wonder if the organic comment refers only to Just Foods?

Just Foods

I love the map with all the little "farms" in NYC, Paul. I wonder if they are open to blogging visitors.

Alex (Blue Moon) has live lobsters today in Tribeca- small, but lively-

not enough for him to harvest last year, so he considers this a good sign- he also said that there were "tons" of fish around this week- another good sign.

BTW, Megu's dish at the taste of Tribeca is Kobe and chicken skewers-

easily the best sounding dish of what we read.

Usgm this morning: arugula and radishes larger but still young. Mussels again. Fishmonger said the skate was especially good and was selling well by 7:45am. Saw fiddleheads, full size ramps. On the flower front, lilies of the valley are coming to an end. Bearded irises are looking good.

The farmers we spoke to are concerned with the lack of rain. The fields are dry. Later spring and early summer crops are coming up more slowly.

Alex (Blue Moon) has live lobsters today in Tribeca- small, but lively-

not enough for him to harvest last year, so he considers this a good sign- he also said that there were "tons" of fish around this week- another good sign.

BTW, Megu's dish at the taste of Tribeca is Kobe and chicken skewers-

easily the best sounding dish of what we read.

Nice website! It just got up & running, it seems--have fun.

Did you have the skewers at Taste?

Has anyone tried the smoked chicken from Quattro?

A couple of years ago---it was good but quite smoky, but I think I am more sensitive to that flavor than most. Their sweet pheasant sausage is awesome, I can tell you.

Oh, it's not terribly sweet. I think they call it that to differentiate from the hot pheasant sausage, which has some kick. I usually like that, but in this case I think you don't taste anything but pepper. But the 'sweet' sausage is nicely spiced.

More of my favorite farmers are reappearing at the W. 97th street market. Picked up a large red leaf lettuce and spring onions from Kernan, some gorgeous south Jersey strawberries, portobellos, and bread. Now I'm thinking of hopping down to Union Square because it's so glorious outside.

:o :o