The farmers market thread

I picked up some asparagus and scallions at the greenmarket up by Columbia yesterday. Today's haul from 97th street included arugala, shelling peas, bunches of spearmint and chives, mushrooms and rhubarb.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll start the ball rolling with the fingerling potatoes I bought at Tompkins Square yesterday. I am very bad at remembering the names of stalls, but there are only half a dozen or so here (open Sund

They make Hooligan (full stop) which some might call stinky. And mean that as a compliment.

Nice to see you here, Paul.

Posted Images

B, I understand that Ray Bradley has started selling at that market. Have you come across any of his stuff?

He was there today for the first time this season, and I congratulated him on the press in last week's Times. I love those guys.

I picked up my mint and chives from him. He also had garlic chives which I couldn't get out of my head, so I went back about an hour go, got greeted with a "you're back?" -- so add a bunch of garlic chives to today's purchases.

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of his tomatoes in August.

I have been enjoying the most delicious cherry tomatoes, gotten from the Korean-American family that has a stand on the north side of the park roughly opposite and facing Barnes and Noble. These folks also sell very good kim chee and the most wonderful baby bok choy. The tomatoes are small, sweet and juicy and I had some for breakfast.

I second that emotion. I bought them after Daisy's glowing review and even with the blazing heat, I had to go back yesterday for more.

On Saturday I got some small, intense strawberries too but I can't remember where I got them. :o

Patches of Star will be there (avec goat) near West 16th.

A new fish purveyor, Rick Lobstadt, will be there, next to Patches.

Franca from Berried Treasures should start tomorrow with tri-star strawberries, as well.

EDITed to add: Yes, Patrick Farms with their glorious milk will be there.

This morning at W. 97th street:

Black peppermint and butter lettuce from Bradley Farm

English shelling peas, zukes, & asparagus from Kernan Farm

Rhubarb from Red Jacket Orchard

Sesame Pugliese and rosemary rolls from Tribeca Oven

BTW, Patches of Star is at 97th st as well.

I found out when picking up some eggs this past Wednesday that tomorrow (Saturday) Knollkrest is going to have a special on its frozen chicken (mostly packs of breasts and thighs), half off the usual price. I've never gotten around to trying any of their chicken; is it comparable to either Eklund's belle rouge birds or else BoBo Poultry's fresh killed (Chinatown)? Thanks!