Wilfrid1

The farmers market thread

I went to SF and all I got were these mediocre apricots.

Seriously though, even a weak stone fruit season here isn't too bad.

The first great tomato of summer,a black krim,from Eckerton Farms plus some tasty white corn from Cherry Lane. Blackcurrants ,big fat onions and the last of the peas,oh my....

Last peas. Oy.

If you don’t already have a vacuum sealer to freeze stuff wirth,you should get one....think you would love it,for preserving fresh fruit and veg....and leftovers.

Some tips : do not vacu seal things with liquid,which will get sucked into the machine,and make a mess. For squishable produce,like berries,freeze on a tray first,then vacu seal. Do not seal fresh pasta. You can always press air out of the bags manually,and then heat seal the bag,without using the vacu component.

• Like 1

Last peas. Oy.

When they're gone, just do what every self-respecting cook does, and use high-quality frozen ones. Quite decent, and probably one of the best frozen vegetable subs.

Husband and I went different directions this morning. When we met up, his comment was "The nice guy at the top of the aisle had 12 varieties of plum!"

43954311302_56a957fd95_c.jpg

Well, yes, I guess he did, This after he had already "sampled" several.

• Like 1

If anyone is on RampWatch, they are now available at the Union Square Greenmarket. Got a nice $5 bunch from (I think) Stokes farm.