Wilfrid1

The farmers market thread

This was the first week with some actual seasonal produce, wasn't it? Still a lot of well shaven roots from last year, ancient apples, etc. but improving.

Kimchee Harvest is terrific. Murderous pricing but terrific. 

Also the cheeses from Riverine Ranch, while not very consistent (even the same cheese can be great one batch, bitter the next), also priced with the same intentions, have some real gems, like what they're currently selling as washed rind.

I keep avoiding Kimchee Harvest.  But I'm being stupid, right?

I mean, I avoided the pickled quail egg people for weeks, and that was just dumb of me.

I also finally broke down and bought some of that Vermont charcuterie.  It's not fabulous, but it's good.

I keep avoiding Kimchee Harvest.  But I'm being stupid, right?

I mean, I avoided the pickled quail egg people for weeks, and that was just dumb of me.

If their CSA would bother to come to a location that isn't Greenpoint (like, our place), I'd sign up (both for the produce and for the banchan)

Did I go overboard on the RAMPS?  Yes, I did.

But next week is my Ring Cycle, and I figure that all those nights of getting home from the opera at 1 in the morning will be perfect for quick bowls of spaghetti with RAMPS.

Name of stall with Vermont charcuterie? Given up asking Rich what his Asian store is.

Name of stall with Vermont charcuterie? Given up asking Rich what his Asian store is.

Sorry I thought I answered. Don't know the name even though I've been going there for 15 years. There's no name on the front.

However, it's on the corner of 86th Street and Bay 40th Street in Gravesend.

That's it!!!

Never noticed the Sea Land name. Learn something new everyday.

We thank you. Not so far from my essential Bensonhurst Russian supermarket. Will make the trip.

Street markets in Paris full of wild asparagus.    But I saw no ail d'ours which I think is or is related to ramps.   None on restaurant plates either.   Loved it last year.