Wilfrid1

The farmers market thread

We thank you. Not so far from my essential Bensonhurst Russian supermarket. Will make the trip.

I wonder if Rich knows there's one of them on Staten Island?

My new favorite is the one on Ocean Avenue (realizing it's probably too far from public transpo, but with a big parking lot).

Well yes and no.

There is one Asian market on the Island and I've gone twice - as it turns out it's the same name (I just checked). It must be individually run because the quality of the fish and meat are no where near the Brooklyn location. I won't go back to he Staten Island store.

But the SI store does have a very nice bakery. Brooklyn does not have a bakery.

Well yes and no.

There is one Asian market on the Island and I've gone twice - as it turns out it's the same name (I just checked). It must be individually run because the quality of the fish and meat are no where near the Brooklyn location. I won't go back to he Staten Island store.

But the SI store does have a very nice bakery. Brooklyn does not have a bakery.

I was actually referring to the store called Net Cost Market! The Russian supermarket.

I also finally broke down and bought some of that Vermont charcuterie.  It's not fabulous, but it's good.

Name of stall with Vermont charcuterie?

Walnut Hill Farm

Asparagus ($5/lb) and fiddleheads ($18/lb - pass) at Union Square today.

Blueberries came several weeks early to the farmers markets this year, but that shouldn't be a surprise to me as our blueberry bushes have been producing quite a bit so far.

Blueberries came several weeks early to the farmers markets this year, but that shouldn't be a surprise to me as our blueberry bushes have been producing quite a bit so far.

You are such a California transplant! :wub:

True, but I'm also a Jersey gal who got dragged by her parents down to the Pine Barrens to pick blueberries during the hot NJ summers.

Finally got my hands on ramps up at the Columbia market. Also picked up rhubarb, asparagus, black peppermint, and purple yum choi (Lani's). Lani's also had strawberries.

Seatuck had shad roe last Saturday, but they were sold out by the time I arrived. At 10:30am. So get there early.

The strawberries at GAP are pathetic.

Haven't had any greenmarket strawberries yet, but gotta figure they're a bit over watered.

The strawberries at GAP are pathetic.

Drew's, in Keyport NJ, had a deliciously ripe local strawberry bruschetta with ricotta and balsamic reduction last night. He said he got the strawberries from one of the local farms near him.

zJQ4t7Uh.jpg