Wilfrid1

The farmers market thread

It seems like they still follow that policy in general.  But they also just let in another baker, bringing the total to four.  (It may or may not matter that both the new cheesemonger and the new baker are significantly better than the ones that were there before.)

Columbia Univ. Medical Center greenmarket returned today. I actually left my office and walked over (and took a walk afterwards - which never, ever happens). Bought 2 lettuces and garlic scapes.

Observation by my wife. If the Green markets want to be green, why don’t they replace those massive bunches of plastic bags with paper bags?

Is it really cost?

They’re doing it. (Of course the new law is forcing them to.)

(By “them” I mean the individual vendors, since this is up to them and not the market.)

Paper bags are great for fish and pickles.

anecdote time - a vendor told me her fields border those of another vendor, and that other vendor employed heroin addicted transients who regularly defecate in the field. She'd approached the market about this and was told she's not allowed to say anything or she'll be penalized.

that was a long time ago.

Oh, if you meant the other cheesemonger, there's a new one that just started last week.

Isn't that called "fertilizing"?

Organic for sure. Ironically it's the one vendor who doesn't want shoppers picking their produce without tongs.

It's called Natural Produce - the new rave at all the "in" spots.