The farmers market thread

So a month or so ago, a friend of mine who's a (rather famous) (in some circles) habitué of the Union Square Greenmarket told me I had to get some of Feisty Acres's mouselline.  Feisty Acres thereupon stopped coming to GAP.  But now they're back, and I have to tell you all that you need to try that mouselline.  (Spread it on Lost Bread Homadama.)

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll start the ball rolling with the fingerling potatoes I bought at Tompkins Square yesterday. I am very bad at remembering the names of stalls, but there are only half a dozen or so here (open Sund

They make Hooligan (full stop) which some might call stinky. And mean that as a compliment.

Nice to see you here, Paul.

Posted Images

At Le Coucou, they're currently serving Navets en Guise d'Escargots. It's a cute dish -- but not better than actual snails are.

Like the idea. Also turnips would be better in their scrambled eggs than those bitter snails.

My first farmer's market tomatoes today are a bit watery.

But the peaches are really good.

And  the fish vendor at Thompkins Square on Sundays (Pura Vida from whom I often get delicious scallops) - actually had soft-shell crabs. But they were expensive at $8, and not that big.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lost Bread Company is fantastic.  I cannot believe how good this bread is.

Their loaf with masa (I forget the name) is like everything that's good about sourdough and tortillas.

That bread (Homadama:  Anadama bread -- but with hominy!) is crazy good.

That bread (Homadama:  Anadama bread -- but with hominy!) is crazy good.

I would like to repeat this for emphasis. GET THIS.

I finally got to Union Square on a Wednesday, with Lost Bread in attendance, and indeed their breads are delish.  I now have a loaf of Homadama sliced and in the freezer (all I had room for), and my tasting of their other breads leads me to believe that the solo in the freezer will soon have company.

Also - Wednesday is a very good day for Union Square; not insanely crowded as it can be on a Friday/Saturday, and some very excellent vendors amongst the usual suspects.

• 3 weeks later...