Wilfrid1

The farmers market thread

Last Saturday at 9, the line to get into the GAP Greenmarket was so long that I couldn't stand to wait.

This week I'll go back to going at 8 and hope for the best.  (Also, I'll have my coffee before I go rather than rushing out and having it afterward, as I habitually do.)

I got to GAP Greenmarket before 8 Saturday morning.  And, after waiting about a half hour to get in with the admission line not moving AT ALL, I decided it just wasn't worth it, and went home and back to bed.

With apologies, I am so often reminded of the admonition of a now deceased grand-dame who told me, "Always ask, is the screwing you get worth the screwing you get."    

Piermont NY Sunday farmers market reopened. Moved from the parking lot to the big central square for more space  1 minute line to get in, masks required, two produce vendors as well as mushrooms, cheese, nuts, pickles, bread, etc.  Worth a stop if you're out on the road in that area....

854195840_Ramps05-19.jpeg.0ca3b84a120c9daa6904e7697206c21b.jpeg\

The ramps came with a delivery (Natoora) of a week's worth of produce. The local stuff includes shown ramps, 3 kinds of mushrooms, spring onions, green garlic, leeks, asparagus, butter, lettuces, Tokyo turnips, rainbow carrots, herbs, and more.  The more distant stuff includes 2 artichokes, endive, avocados, celery, Spanish and red onions, potatoes and more.  I spend some time trimming things down, in order to fit them neatly in the fridge. And then all those trimmings get used then and there.

973125800_Stockvegetable05-19.jpeg.3ba5c485e1c80b55007b2d1753403744.jpeg

The veg stock comes in handy for, say, mushroom risotto or something along those lines.

• Like 1

Not farmers' market but produce from Tusk's farm, now funneled through their wine bar.    Today, you read it here, RAMPS in San Francisco

1870651857_ScreenShot2020-05-23at6_55_09AM.thumb.png.1da69a4c5b86124f059e247696ae487d.png

That all seems to me like it's from a "secret source" in Oregon that specializes in such things.

That could be.   Heretofore, the produce has come from their local dedicated farm.

Cherries!  Lots of them at the market today, at around $6/lb for both Bings and Rainiers.  Also picked up salmon and cod for this week's dinners.

Rick Bishop still has ramps! Bought them and asparagus (as well as some lettuce). Looking forward to having them with pasta on Tuesday night.

• Like 1

Extended ramp season! So I did some production yesterday, starting with this:

1702043562_Rampusage05-24.jpeg.18681e7dcf68651add9d836e1ef036d0.jpeg

Ramp butter and pickled ramps.

We stopped for cherries on our way to the country.    Bings this time,    The woman selling them said, "I really like the color of your car..   What do you call that?   Asparagus green?"    Since our car is somewhere between olive and army green, I refrained from saying, "Only if you overcook your asparagus."

• Haha 1

I rode a bike from Flatiron to my place in Brooklyn yesterday... It was like an hour ride and over the williamsburg bridge.  It was a beautiful day... Stopped at the greenmarket in Union Square and purchased some beautiful vegetables.. broccoli picked that day, red sorrel and green sorrel, arugula flowers, red watercress pea shoots and a pretty lettuce.   Biked 15 miles yesterday as well as today 

Here is the lettuce:

49944197507_594043546a_z.jpg

Sliced the broccoli thin and kept it long... Add everything together minus the flowers and the red sorrel.. that needs to be cooked.  

49946173642_44a3abfa5b_z.jpg

made a miso  ginger dressing... smashed ginger, add soy and sesame, a little vinegar, a little neutral oil. 

oh and this:

49946173362_b8eb559f24_z.jpg

Super healthy...

49945382513_146efca678_z.jpg

Finally found strawberries at the greenmarket so a cobbler will be made! But most exciting - english shelling peas.

• Like 1