The farmers market thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll start the ball rolling with the fingerling potatoes I bought at Tompkins Square yesterday. I am very bad at remembering the names of stalls, but there are only half a dozen or so here (open Sund

They make Hooligan (full stop) which some might call stinky. And mean that as a compliment.

Nice to see you here, Paul.

Posted Images

I bought some strawberries from Lani's Farm on Wednesday, and they're pretty good. Not great, but better than the Driscoll's I got from Trader Joe's because I was dying for strawberries and sick of waiting.

52 minutes ago, Anthony Bonner said:

I mean assume they'll suck and be happy if they don't? We got a lot of rain the last few days.

39 minutes ago, small h said:

I bought some strawberries from Lani's Farm on Wednesday, and they're pretty good. Not great, but better than the Driscoll's I got from Trader Joe's because I was dying for strawberries and sick of waiting.

Yeah - setting the bar pretty low.

I did get (like a week ago) some organic Driscoll's that were surprisingly edible, and didn't even have to throw away like 1/2 the box...they were in good shape, too.

11 minutes ago, bloviatrix said:

My strawberries came from Kernan which is located in South Jersey. I anticipate a little waterlog - hence the cooking.

Yes - I was thinking ice cream or sorbet if they're not going to be worthy for out of hand.

3 hours ago, bloviatrix said:

Shrieks of joy from the boy when I showed him the bag of shelling peas.

Husband commandeers all English peas as soon as they hit the house.   I have literally NEVER cooked a fresh pea since meeting him.  

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, voyager said:

Husband just called from Brentwood to say he is en route home with a half-lug of Blenheim apricots.    Probably my all time favorite fruit.

So jealous!!!!

Fruit is finally coming in to the market. Today's purchases included strawberries and cherries from Locus Grove, who finally returned to 97th street and Blueberries from Kernan. I was also excited to get my hands on some 8-ball squashes. I've already hollowed them out and will stuff them with a veg/freekah mixture.

• Like 1