The farmers market thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll start the ball rolling with the fingerling potatoes I bought at Tompkins Square yesterday. I am very bad at remembering the names of stalls, but there are only half a dozen or so here (open Sund

They make Hooligan (full stop) which some might call stinky. And mean that as a compliment.

Nice to see you here, Paul.

Posted Images

Yeah...they are excellent. Even the not-quite-ripe ones my son picked are good  Late season this year from the March cold snap. Apparently peaches will be very good too. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Tubbs said:

Yeah...they are excellent. Even the not-quite-ripe ones my son picked are good  Late season this year from the March cold snap. Apparently peaches will be very good too. 

Where's the source for these? Not that I'm going anywhere soon...

On 6/20/2020 at 8:22 PM, Tubbs said:

Some guy was selling Georgia peaches off the back of a truck on Saint Mark's today. I don't think he realized what would happen to them on the way when they just bounce around the back of a trailer, so he was just sorting through them and given the injured one out for free. Expect peach vinegar based Foxface hot sauce in about a month.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

The GAP Greenmarket was weird this (by now it's yesterday) morning.

At about 8 AM, there was no line at all at Blue Moon Fish.  That I've never seen before.  So I bought some, even though I hadn't been planning on it.

Inside the main area, though, lines were very long at the more popular stands.  I was one of the very last people let into the main area without a wait.

Maybe people aren't thinking about eating fish over July 4th Weekend?

Line for Samascott was crazy this morning (it's always the longest line at the Columbia market) - went down as far the back of Butler Library on 114th street - for those of you who know the campus. Came home with sour cherries, Queen Anne cherries and blueberries. Also bought buttermilk at Hawthorne. 

Lines at W. 97th street this morning as many folks came out early to avoid the impending rain. Obscene quantities of fruit bought. Gooseberries for a small batch of jab, 2 quarts of sour cherries which will be turned into jam as well. First plums of the season. But still no corn.