The farmers market thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll start the ball rolling with the fingerling potatoes I bought at Tompkins Square yesterday. I am very bad at remembering the names of stalls, but there are only half a dozen or so here (open Sund

They make Hooligan (full stop) which some might call stinky. And mean that as a compliment.

Nice to see you here, Paul.

Posted Images

It's so true though how quickly it deteriorates. The ears we ate Tuesday were so much better than the ones yesterday. 

I feel bad for the people selling at farmers markets this weekend. Gonna be brutal. I think we'll skip our weekly run to piermomt. 

12 hours ago, Tubbs said:

It's so true though how quickly it deteriorates. The ears we ate Tuesday were so much better than the ones yesterday. 

I feel bad for the people selling at farmers markets this weekend. Gonna be brutal. I think we'll skip our weekly run to piermomt. 

True of good, real corn.  The bioengineered stuff gets sweeter as it gets older, to a point. Though it doesn't get crisper and juicier.

I think you're better off cooking all of it at once, and then freezing - perhaps taking the kernels off the ears?

1 hour ago, joethefoodie said:

I wish this time of year came at a different time of year. Because the incessant heat is just annoying to cook in (with?).

That's why they invented gazpacho. 

12 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

This is the time of year when it’s a little hard not go crazy at the Greenmarket.

(But it’s still not as crazy as you have to go when you order for delivery.)

I bought so much stuff yesterday, it was out of control. 

We had sour cherry soup!

Tonight I pitted 2 quarts of sour cherries. I'll be making my annual batch of sour cherry chocolate jam tomorrow. Also put up a small batch of gooseberry jam tonight.

I bought red currants at the market yesterday. Thinking of buying some more sours tomorrow to make a sour cherry red currant jam. The currants provide the necessary pectin to thicken it.

Line for Samascott at the Columbia market was insane this morning. Market opens at 8 am and by 8:07 the line ran down 114th street and ended behind Butler library (for those who are familiar with campus). I really went for corn, but after waiting 35 minutes I bought more cherries (sour and sweet), blueberries, and strawberries. Also bought some more herbs and leeks for making smoked whitefish chowder later this week.

• Like 1
On 7/19/2020 at 11:46 AM, bloviatrix said:

Line for Samascott at the Columbia market was insane this morning. Market opens at 8 am and by 8:07 the line ran down 114th street and ended behind Butler library (for those who are familiar with campus). I really went for corn, but after waiting 35 minutes I bought more cherries (sour and sweet), blueberries, and strawberries. Also bought some more herbs and leeks for making smoked whitefish chowder later this week.

The fort green farmers market opens at 8 but, they will start selling at 730.. If I am not at the market by 745, I won't go...